Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Trans issues - check powertrain

Bradym

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Crewman, WL V8 Caprice, WM V8 Caprice
Hi all - I've gone through all the threads and haven't found anything that matches these symptoms (although a lot were close).
I'm by no means a mechanic, but have a basic understanding of most maintenance parts on the car.
Driving VZ V6 Crewman (4 speed auto) home last night and at low speed/medium load the dash indicator started showing the gears changing between D, N and P. Unfortunately, the gearbox was clunking in a way that suggested the indicator lights were telling the truth (although no full lock like you'd expect if it hit park).
Pulled over to check the trans fluid levels, but it was hard to work out the level. I didn't have anything to clean the dipstick with, but it looked like there was the right amount of fluid.
About 10km from home the alerts went nuts. Check powertrain and service vehicle soon came up and both kept flashing the whole way home.
The car went in to what I assume was limp home mode. Ran okay, but sluggish, at speed (60kph - 80kph) but take off felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear. There was also no speedo/odo, but tacho was fine.
I didn't drive it today, and am planning on doing a full trans service tomorrow. I'm hoping it was a low oil causing hydraulic fault issue (maybe that's a stupid and naively hopeful idea).
Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions if the trans service doesn't fix it?

Tommyvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss
Hi all - I've gone through all the threads and haven't found anything that matches these symptoms (although a lot were close).
I'm by no means a mechanic, but have a basic understanding of most maintenance parts on the car.
Driving VZ V6 Crewman (4 speed auto) home last night and at low speed/medium load the dash indicator started showing the gears changing between D, N and P. Unfortunately, the gearbox was clunking in a way that suggested the indicator lights were telling the truth (although no full lock like you'd expect if it hit park).
Pulled over to check the trans fluid levels, but it was hard to work out the level. I didn't have anything to clean the dipstick with, but it looked like there was the right amount of fluid.
About 10km from home the alerts went nuts. Check powertrain and service vehicle soon came up and both kept flashing the whole way home.
The car went in to what I assume was limp home mode. Ran okay, but sluggish, at speed (60kph - 80kph) but take off felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear. There was also no speedo/odo, but tacho was fine.
I didn't drive it today, and am planning on doing a full trans service tomorrow. I'm hoping it was a low oil causing hydraulic fault issue (maybe that's a stupid and naively hopeful idea).
Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions if the trans service doesn't fix it?
Did you ever find the issue

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Possibly may not get a reply, as it's a very old thread,
And the OP hasn't been online since 28 March 2023,
Hopefully opening up the old thread, could have forwarded on a message/email,
So you may have to be patient in waiting for a reply,
Or
another member may chime in to assist.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Did you ever find the issue
In addition to my comment,

What DTC do you have for your fault ?
As that may throw some light on the fault, and another member maybe able to assist.

Tommyvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss
In addition to my comment,

What DTC do you have for your fault ?
As that may throw some light on the fault, and another member maybe able to assist.
Hi thanks mate my issue is exactly the same as above it’s showing codes P0700 and PO604
The car is a vz crewman 6 it’s limp mode starting from 3rd the speedo is dropping out and the check power train is going crazy it’s had an input sensor done but still no good any help would be much appreciated cheers

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sounds like the pcm is dying