Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ute knocking at rear left

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V, V8, 6 Speed Manual
hey guys,

just recently i fit an aftermarket exhaust to my ute.
all good, and then about a week later i noticed a "knocking" noise.
which i suspected to be the exhaust hitting under the body somewhere.
crawled under the car and shook the F@!# out of the exhaust and it has plenty of room to move without hitting anything, i can get the exhaust the make contact with the underbody, but theres not way that the exhaust can move the amount im talking by normal driving.
i hear this knocking noise while driving on a straight road with not many bumps whatsoever.
i grabbed hold of the rear shocks, and the rear right is solid as. cannot move it at all. no play in it.
however the rear left i can move a little, making a very faint knock as i move it back and forth.
gonna grab my tools from work today and see if i can tighten up the bottom mount bolt where its moving.

i have heard of people replace their shocks for knocking noises and still not being able to find the problem, hopefully i have found the source of mine.
will let you know how i go.
cheers,
Timmo

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
could be top mount rubbers also , check em both, did the exhaust guys have to remove shocker to fit pipe??? could have disturbed something

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
could be top mount rubbers also , check em both, did the exhaust guys have to remove shocker to fit pipe??? could have disturbed something

+2 with the top shock mounts.

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V, V8, 6 Speed Manual
i fit the exhaust myself, just a direct bolt on cat back.
i didnt have to alter anything to make it fit.
tried to tighten up the bottom mount bolt i was talking about in my first post, i can loosen it, but i cannot get it any tighter and the washer is just hanging there.
gonna pull the shock out tonight and check it.
if anything on the shock looks busted, good excuse for some monroes.