Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 replace crank bearings

dooboolacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LE0 Captiva april 2006
So I had an oil flow issue owing to oil sludge in the sump that led to engine knocking and I think a partially shredded bearing. I am hoping to just replace the bearing, with the engine jacked up, but still in the car. At the moment I have got most of the side bolts for all 4 crank bearings off and was about to start pulling out the bearing support plates. But the plate holding the rearmost bearing is a bit puzzling.

DSC_0107.JPG

The two outermost bolts of the four holding the plate on in the photo are right along side the holes for two of the sump bolts in the block casing. So I can't get a socket on the bolt and I can't get a ring spanner on them either. And they are recessed and tight enough that I would probably wear the corners off them with an open ended spanner. I tried both 1/2" and 3/8" 13mm sockets without joy.

Is there some special tool or socket I need to get at those?
Thanks.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
One screwed big end bearing probably means they're all worn, plus the mains, plus the crank journals.
Probably better to remove the engine and do the job correctly, unless you wanna do a bodge job and sell it to some unsuspecting sucker...

Try grinding down a 3/8" or 1/4" drive socket.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That plate needs to be removed.
Not even my flank drive plus open enders would do that.

dooboolacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
One screwed big end bearing probably means they're all worn, plus the mains, plus the crank journals.
Probably better to remove the engine and do the job correctly, unless you wanna do a bodge job and sell it to some unsuspecting sucker...

Try grinding down a 3/8" or 1/4" drive socket.

I was the unsuspecting sucker :-( Sadly I don't have the workshop or equipment to pull the engine out. Just hoping to get a few thousand kms out of it with the least additional pain.

I hope(?) that the oil blockage was just a recent issue and only mildly damaged one of the bearings. There is a good chance I just stirred it up when I replaced the heads and timing chains, because it only last 50km after that.

I will try grinding down a socket, but would they use some specific custom tool in a workshop or are you thinking the whole plate might be skewed sideways?

Cheers!

dooboolacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
That plate needs to be removed.
Not even my flank drive plus open enders would do that.

Now I am worried! How would they normally pull the bearing plate out? I thought it would fall out when I undid the bolts???

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was the unsuspecting sucker :-( Sadly I don't have the workshop or equipment to pull the engine out. Just hoping to get a few thousand kms out of it with the least additional pain.

I hope(?) that the oil blockage was just a recent issue and only mildly damaged one of the bearings. There is a good chance I just stirred it up when I replaced the heads and timing chains, because it only last 50km after that.

I will try grinding down a socket, but would they use some specific custom tool in a workshop or are you thinking the whole plate might be skewed sideways?

Cheers!

Seriously, if 1 bearing is screwed that you can see, more will be screwed you can't see...It's just the nature of the beast unfortunately

So best plan of attack for you would be either put it back together as is, or out with engine and reco it....You see, you don't know how much crud has gone through the block, so to do preventative maintenance per say, the block would have to be cleaned out, with all the oil galleries....That requires stripping it down to a bare block....

Either than or buy a known good runner...Now that may be difficult.

Leave it upto you

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Cheers!

A 13mm crows foot might do it, depending on its design.
I grabbed a couple of pics of a 1/2" Snap On crows foot(12.7mm might fit), a conventional design.
They also make a multi hex design that's a lot thinner...
2021-02-09 22.48.23.jpg

Use it upside down.
2021-02-09 22.48.59.jpg

It might be enough to just crack it loose, then wind it out with a spanner.

Good luck!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Now I am worried! How would they normally pull the bearing plate out? I thought it would fall out when I undid the bolts???

See the plate that is in the way. That whole part needs to be removed.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Ground socket. I am interested to see if it works out.

The manual is pedantic about changing all the bearings, using the special puller tool.

But there are these guys at the wreckers here sitting in the dust in their undies building as many engines as they can out of the busted motors, with a handful of rusty mismatched tools, and their engines run fine.

It has made me disregard the manual more than once to keep going.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

dooboolacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
A 13mm crows foot might do it, depending on its design.
I grabbed a couple of pics of a 1/2" Snap On crows foot(12.7mm might fit), a conventional design.
They also make a multi hex design that's a lot thinner...

[snip]

It might be enough to just crack it loose, then wind it out with a spanner.

Good luck!

Sweet! I had no idea such things existed!!!

I got one of each on order. Hopefully will see how they go when they turn up in a week or two...

Many thanks!!

(if it works it might save me destroying a socket)