Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ VE engine replacment. Like for like. No matching engine number required

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I was wondering if it was possible to replace the Ve LEO with the vz LY7 engine. If so what is needed?

His posts are saying that you can replace a like-for-like engine from another year model without the part numbers having to be the same (LY7 for LY7, LLT for LLT, LE0 for LE0 etc...), not that they're interchangeable. The short answer is no, or that it's not really worth the time and cost. You can try swapping in your LY7 and leaving the exhaust cam sensors unplugged but I think you will have issues getting the exhaust cam to time correctly.

Danielson1958

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve equip wagon 3.6
Now I've started this thread because I want to clear up all this rubbish that when you need to change the motor. You need to have the exact engine numbers to match. I can assure you that is a load of crap. I have a ve sv6 2006 manual which needed a new motor I got one out of a ve 2009 calias used my own sensors and loom and car starts and run no issues what so ever.
So any ly7 engine will run no matter what car year it's from.
Be the same with all ve engines. You don't need the exact engine numbers to match you're old engine as long as it's an ly7 or le0 or ltt or what ever your numbers you have. That's all you have make sure. So don't let anyone say otherwise and before people start bad mouthing me. I am a fully qualified mechanic. I've done it myself.
Hi Shaun I have a 3ltr 2012 ve equip sports wagon it has LFW engine nmbr can I put a sv6 engine in it ??

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
shaun has not been on here for 1 year after his interesting statements of engine changes, and he only made 6 posts total
danielson to be honest, i dont know the answer to your question
but the tune at least will be different, so i would suspect ecu chip replacement

Shaun099

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Hi Shaun I have a 3ltr 2012 ve equip sports wagon it has LFW engine nmbr can I put a sv6 engine in it ??

Yes you can but you would need the loom and ecu plus the key and bcm and cluster from the same car to make it run and maybe have to change the dash loom as well not sure though.
Be a massive headache.

Gtsr-w1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv GTS Lsa
Hi sorry to interrupt but I have taken the advise and I have given my mech a LY7 out of a Vz to put in a ve sv6, he just called me and said he is about to do the loom and he was a bit worried that it might not work properly due to the ve block he took out was a high output engine, do you know if if it will all work the same, is he just trying to get more money out of me, can I plz get your wisdom... anyone

Gtsr-w1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv GTS Lsa
So my mech has had to change the sump and k frame abit but the loom all lines up, now it’s been 7 days for a day job and I can’t get a hold of him, surely it can’t be that hard to put a vz LY7 into a ve that had an LY7? Any wisdom?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I don’t understand why the k-frame needs to be changed a bit?? Sump yes.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
shaun's definition of engine swap and mine are a bit different
dont take his posts seriously

Last edited: