Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

W310

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypnerotomachia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I came to this forum hoping there were people that genuinely wanted to share and help.

Instead there is this.

A class/knowledge/arrogance war.

This is THE Australian car. I had an LJ Torana, my other mates had an EH and a VC. The FUQ is going on here?

I have a W310 SSV Redline. I love it. I also love the raw and unique noise from other Commies. I got mine because I did and I could.

Chill.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I came to this forum hoping there were people that genuinely wanted to share and help.

Instead there is this.

This is THE Australian car. I had an LJ Torana, my other mates had an EH and a VC. The FUQ is going on here?

I have a W310 SSV Redline. I love it. I also love the raw and unique noise from other Commies. I got mine because I did and I could.

Chill.

delve a little deeper into the forum, there are many people that share and help.

unfortunately, this is also the internet, where people have opinions and express them on many forums, including this one.

i have bmws, i also love the sound they produce, i also got them because i did and i could!! before you ask, i owned commodores before i owned bmws, and im still here because of the friends ive made from being here.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
My Harrop performance pack has driveline warranty but it specifys the use of 98 fuel. Just putting it out there.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
My Harrop performance pack has driveline warranty but it specifys the use of 98 fuel. Just putting it out there.

That's the other pack I was looking at from HP-F. Harrop '335' pack - seems pretty much the same as the Walkinshaw, albeit with different bits. I was advised that they (HP-F) aren't verry happy with the Harrop exhaust, and that it drones quite a bit. They then advised to get the wankingshaw pack for a bit more, they said to quote "As HP-F, we are constantly looking for an alternative to Walkinshaw, but we keep going back to it".

The other option I have is: Harrop OTR, walkinshaw exhaust and a tune for about $1k less than the W310 pack - will make my mind up when I get there on Tuesday.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Or don't buy any 'pack' and select the parts that meet your personal requirements.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

Instead there is this.

Chill.

This is a forum, where there are opinions. If you came here because you wanted unified agreeance to everything. Youve come to the wrong place.

I am sharing the information I know. Through my own extensive research and knowledge about the modifcation scene. This comes from years of working in the automotive scene as well as having Walkinshaw in Clayton a customer of mine.

I will not blow smoke up peoples arses to make them feel happy about their purchases.

If youre happy with it fantastic. But thats not going to stop me or anyone else, sharing what we think of the package.

If people then want to respond to the knowledge with words such as "spastic" and then go on to say they want the badge and warranty, well...it speaks bounds.

That's the other pack I was looking at from HP-F. Harrop '335' pack - seems pretty much the same as the Walkinshaw, albeit with different bits. I was advised that they (HP-F) aren't verry happy with the Harrop exhaust, and that it drones quite a bit. They then advised to get the wankingshaw pack for a bit more, they said to quote "As HP-F, we are constantly looking for an alternative to Walkinshaw, but we keep going back to it".

The other option I have is: Harrop OTR, walkinshaw exhaust and a tune for about $1k less than the W310 pack - will make my mind up when I get there on Tuesday.

Ill be blunt with you. It sounds like theyre blowing smoke up your arse.

Lets stop calling it a Walkinshaw Exhaust. Its a Difillipo with Walkinshaw tips. The Harrop exhaust is indeed different.

HP-F are a licensed Walkinshaw Dealer. So, to an extent they want to push that package. For them (and for Walkinshaw) its free money.

Focusing on the part in bold. So the only thing that is different to the 310 pack is the OTR? One is a Walkinshaw Intake and one is a Harrop and the diffeence is 1000 bucks.

Walkinshaw OTR (Note: its the VCM unit with a sticker)

VF-OTR.jpg

VCM OTR (Note: Missing sticker)

IMG_2620.jpg

Harrop OTR (although I was positive they just used the VCM OTR as well)

315_365_harrop_performance_packages.jpg

So the difference is, well... nothing.

Stop going in and asking for "packages".

The "package" is a full exhaust, tune and intake. Add them up individually and see how you go.

The OTR can be had for 500 bucks. Full exhaust, if you wanted to go Difillipo (the brand Walkinshaw use) itll probably run you in the 3k mark (inc headers) and the tune is typically 900ish.

Just a side note. I despise anyone that sells a "Xkw Pack". You cannot guarantee a car will run X kw. Customers come back and have a hissy fit tantrum and demand their extra 10kw. So the workshop straps it loose and sends them on their way. Tuning a car to meet a specific target is ####ing rubbish and is salesman 101. Workshops have a good idea where a car SHOULD land and can undercut the advertised kw package. But with so many other workshops starting to offer the pack (GMM, Harrop, Walkinshaw) it becomes a game of who can claim to get the biggest gains and who can push their dynos to lie the most without being totally unrealistic.

Last edited:

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Nice. So walkinshaw sells tips and rebadges everything else. Plus adds a nice mark up. I have been modding cars for a while now. This is what I do. Research. Choose a tuner. Tell him your realistic power goals. He will give you options on bolt ons etc. Drive in drive out or fit yourself and then get tuned. Packages can be overrated.

PS. When I left the tuners I realised I had 10Kw less. I called him and he said it was common for guys to leave without it. He said he had 10kw prepaid express post bags and would mail me one.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Marketeers, Sensitive Bums, and Bang for Buck

When I left the tuners I realised I had 10Kw less. I called him and he said it was common for guys to leave without it. He said he had 10kw prepaid express post bags and would mail me one.

+/- 10kW is like the humidity being out on the baro, you must really have a sensitive bum to realise you left that on the table!

Jokes aside, I don't think many people with the 6.0 realize what bang for your buck really is, but in short you can budget $75 per rkW over stock playing it smart, $100 per rkW paying too much hunting for big power through old school tuners (bigger is better, chuck out the fancy ****), and $200 per rkW not realizing the opportunity cost of another third party mechanical insurance is only a few hundred dollars.
W310 is $6000 for +30rkw: $200/rkw.
Supercharger is $12,500 for +165rkW: $75/rkw
Black Pearl is $6400 for +85rkw: $75/rkw.
Typical Stock L77 to ~255 is $3000 for +40rkw: $75/rkw
There is a diminishing ongoing return at 270rkw (+50rkw) and again at 290rkw (+70rkw) for technical reasons. To go more than +85rkw over stock requires opening up the engine, or forced induction.
Budget $100/rkW for good aftermarket gear, but there are economies in scheduling work and shopping around to realize $75/rkW.
Typical naturally aspirated AFM delete 320rkW is $7500 for +100rkw: $75/rkW
AFM naturally aspirated 340rkW is $9000 for +120rkw: $75/rkW
AFM VVT naturally aspirated 400rkW is $13,500 for +180rkw: $75/rkW

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Well, I accept that I'm wrong about this, and I have either misinterpreted information or been mislead by the resellers. I apologise for my emotive responses to what I beleived at the time to be flaming for choosing Walkinshaw.

What I want, is a full exhaust, CAI - not fussed if OTR or side mount, and a tune. I want it to be all done by the same place at the same time.

The walkinshaw exhaust, to me, sounds great and is a stepped down 3" to 2.5" - is that exactly the same as the DPE system? I know DPE make walkinshaw exhausts but not sure if it is the same product.

Either way, budget remains the same - up to $6.5k, need it done in Melbourne on Tuesday or Wednesday this week as I've taken leave to get it done.

I'm going to go down to HP-F tomorrow to see what they have to offer outside of the realm of 'performance packs'.

Status
Not open for further replies.