Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wankers everywhere

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Whats with people on Gumtree I was trying to sell a couple of bits of crap for me and a mate his au falcon and a couple of old hq motors i had so far Ive had 6 messages from people in NSW and WA asking about the engine numbers not if the engine is any good or if Ill take so much for the Falcon come on I'm in Victoria whos going to drive more than 1 hour for a $2000 car or what does the engine number of a dirty old 202 from a hq matter? Are there that many people like myself with sweet **** all to do?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I always ask for the engine prefix because it tells you what emissions standards you'll need to adhere to, and gives an indication of what vehicle it was originally from. I've sold quite a few engines but never give them the full number - only the prefix. Reason being, they may want the number to restamp another block.

Ive currently got some wheels listed for $500 and have had a few offers for $200. I just respond with a counter offer of $600 and play the game. Sometimes I don't even bother replying.

Anybody who makes an offer for a car sight unseen isn't serious. When I'm selling cars/bikes I don't respond to text messages, and the only time I know that theyre serious is when they call me - and I make that very clear in the ad and state 'offers will ONLY be considered upon inspection'.

Whatever you do make sure you don't converse with anyone requesting that you contact them via email. Another tip - don't sell through Facebook unless you want every wankers uneducated opinion.

For anything small I always sell through eBay. It's no hassle an I don't even need to communicate with the buyer at all. You have to pay fees but I adjust pricing accordingly, and it's a small price to pay for the convenience.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
they don't call it bumtree for nothing. wall to wall losers.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've sold a truckload of stuff on Gumtree over the years and generally don't have too many problems, if any.

Sure, you might get the odd weird (to you) question, lowball offer or no show but that is no different to selling stuff analogue style in the trading post or similar classifieds in the olden days.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
From the title of the thread I thought that this going to be about Volvo drivers. :)

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
What's with people on Gumtrees thinking an old AU Falcon would be worth $2000?
If you don't want to answer questions either ignore them or don't post **** for sale

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Ive currently got some wheels listed for $500 and have had a few offers for $200. I just respond with a counter offer of $600 and play the game.

*chuckle
I'm gonna use this idea, cheers.:D

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeh gumtree is like that, idiots and low ballers
Had success in Facebook Marketplace in buying only

EBay preferred and yeh put up price fraction for the fees but generally prefer it as a buyer and seller.

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Try doing eBay enmasse.

- One guy got up me when his purchase (sent as two parcels) didn't both arrive on same day
- One guy asks me 6 hours after his purchase why wasn't it posted
- One person got up me about including an invoice with purchase (you are emailed one when you win the auction, derp!)
- A vendor got up me for leaving negative feedback when the item wasn't in stock, and they advertised that they had 6 available
- A guy got upset when I overquoted postage by about 20-80 cents.

But these are the only 4 transactions I have had issues with. Overall I have had good success with eBay.

- A guy bought a pair of cowboy boots for $30. On pickup, he instead offers me a stereo instead of $30 cash, saying it was out of VL Commodore. Turns out it was out of VL Calais and in mint condition. Got $150 for it plus postage 2 hours later.
- A set of 4 golden fleece paper cups I had as part of a period appropriate display for VB Commodore - bought for $15, sold for $131!

Overall I have raised $1150 on eBay over the last couple of months. Used to proceeds to start modding the Mazda3. Still have some items to go, including a vintage portable TV, some VT Commodore handbook wallets, a collection of vintage beer cans and a couple of other bits and pieces. To his date I have sold off my childhood coin collection, some redundant car parts, old maps and books, and other things.