Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting advice on V6 sidi exhaust

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
I think I'm just going to go with the twin pipe rear mufflers to start with and work off the sound that gives it and work forward if I want more. I took them off both sides and started the engine and it has quite a loud sound to it, so if I just tune that with a set of rear mufflers it might be enough. Can anyone advise what material to use? Either stainless or mild steel, I kind of like the black painted mild steel as it hides the resonator rather than chrome. But if stainless is better sound then will go for that. Also, is xforce a good way to go, or redback. Both fairly cheap, just want to know what people think comparing the two. Thanks

Ben Ten

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Commodore MY12
I have an sv6 sidi and was in an identical situation to you 3 months ago, copping **** and getting the "just buy a v8" advice so i know where you're coming from
In my experience i've found most of the stock catback to be pretty good and the only thing holding them back are the rear mufflers.
If you're looking to do a very cheap and highly effective swap that will give you good sound, nice tone and no drone, i'd change the rears to either xforce or redbacks.
I picked up a secondhand pair of redbacks for $150 and absolutely love them, would highly recommend

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
I have an sv6 sidi and was in an identical situation to you 3 months ago, copping **** and getting the "just buy a v8" advice so i know where you're coming from
In my experience i've found most of the stock catback to be pretty good and the only thing holding them back are the rear mufflers.
If you're looking to do a very cheap and highly effective swap that will give you good sound, nice tone and no drone, i'd change the rears to either xforce or redbacks.
I picked up a secondhand pair of redbacks for $150 and absolutely love them, would highly recommend

Thanks for the tip mate, yeah I'm 19 and I love my car and don't want to get rid of it. I don't have the money for a V8 and I really don't need that amount of power nor can I afford how much fuel they use.
Was your rear mufflers stainless or what? I have only seen them in black mild steel so I assume they're that. Also, what size did you go?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
check the v6 exhaust thread at the top of the start page, lots of info, I have a set of non afm mufflers but am in brisbane

Ben Ten

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Commodore MY12
yeah they were the black mild steel and only 2.5" but they sound pretty sweet.
if you want super crazy loud i'd just go for straight through pipes with no mufflers on them but i've only seen them on 3"
mine bolted straight on and the whole thing took maybe an hour and a bit with a mate and a tiny bit of screwing around with no mufflers on ;)

yeah i'm only 20 and still on my P's so I Feel for you man
love the car and want to keep it around for a while!

oky

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 sv6. my12
hay the easy way and cheap way is to just replace your front exhaust pipes to 2.25 as the stock ones are 2.0 and the back pipes already 2.25 and just get some ss rear mufflers from the wreckers

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
So I bought redback 2.5 inch rear mufflers with twin pipes and put them on in less than half hour. Happy with the sound. Gives a loud sound and no cabin drone at all. Thanks for the advice

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
Here's my car after install
1zdavfa.jpg

Last edited: