Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting some info on the Ls1 engine

Rocking_along

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS ute
Hey guys, I dont know much about the Ls1 utes (VU, VY ect), was just wondering a few things,

Is it better to go Manual or Auto? I know manual is fun for the street but if you start opening up the Ls1 and getting some decent HP and have a really lumpy cam would manual just be annoying trying to take off and change gears ect (Would you go through clutches often), or would an auto box suit better? What sort of strong auto transmissions can you bolt up to the Ls1 or what sort of work can be done to the standard transmission.

If you had a worked Ls1 ute that puts out some decent power and you drove it daily, would you want it manual or auto, and why?

Cheers

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Do a search. Should be thousands of opinions on this in here somewhere.
I am an auto person, thats probably because I am old.
I have been told that "real" men only drive manuals. Fact or fiction?(or wank)

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
My flatmate has a 402hp N/A sleeper, just cam, head and exhaust work. About 13 grand just on the engine.

It would have cost him about the same for an LSX 454 crate engine that makes an extra 200+HP

Its a 6 speed VU Ute and is very unforgiving in the wet and he has thrown a few clutches in his time.

I'd be more concerned about the amount of HP you get for your dollar.

But I must say, its fun to drive and it sounds awesome.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Manuals in a worked (cammed) engine can be a bit tricky to drive if you are not used to them. It took a while for me to get used to mine.
It can be a bit embarrassing though if you miss a gear, especially if you have a loud exhaust for all to hear.
If you look after it, the normal clutch will last you. You could get a heavy duty set up for piece of mind if you want.
Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I love manuals. I would rather hear someone miss a gear in a manual than hear an auto change gears.lol.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Prefer a manual myself as I'm not a fan of car's making decisions for me. If I wanted that, I'd have bought a horse :p

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
the auto box is verry week my mate spent $$$$ rebuliding his three times befor he converted to a manual

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
sounds like your mate got ripped off 3 times

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I have 2 Auto LS1's both easy to drive and tbh a bit lazy as the engine delivers most of it's power what at 3-5000RPM I think?

I used to drive manual but these days I live in the city and the auto really has it covered even when going on a spirited mountain drive (I tend to just put it in 2nd most of the time).

One of my cars is a daily and the other is a cruising w/ender, guess it comes down to how you like to drive but yeah an auto has made me pretty lazy. :)

Mr Gop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I think its really a personal thing as to how you like to drive, where you drive etc. I drive a manual ute all day for work so I enjoy the smooth auto when I run my SS on the weekend. You can still have a bit of fun with the power button on and traction control off :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Does anyone remember when the auto was an optional extra? (Showing my age).
Now it seems the manuals are. lol.

Seems society has gotten more lazy. I can't talk. I crack the poo's when I can't find the remote for the TV.
Still the auto industry can only give what the public want.