Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Washing and polishing your car

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
All the ash from the bushfire ate a heap of clearcoat off cars, and worked its way into nooks and crannies

Wood ash plus water makes lye, a highly caustic solution

The issue was letting dew, or, a very light rain, wet it down, and thus covering the car with lye

You really need to get bulk water going to dilute and remove that ash

The water pollution that media talked about during and after the 2019-20 Black Summer bushfires was actually lye forming in waterways and "caustic rain" travelling around the globe

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...e/580030.html#q=microfibre&lang=en_AU&start=7

Anyone used this kit before? It has some good reviews. I have a noodle mitt (one without foam and its great, I also have a towel. I need a second towel and saw this kit on the SCA website. Just so happens I have $13 club credit that needs spending in the next couple of days. I was looking at just getting a towel to spend my credit before it expires.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...e/580030.html#q=microfibre&lang=en_AU&start=7

Anyone used this kit before? It has some good reviews. I have a noodle mitt (one without foam and its great, I also have a towel. I need a second towel and saw this kit on the SCA website. Just so happens I have $13 club credit that needs spending in the next couple of days. I was looking at just getting a towel to spend my credit before it expires.

Cheap.

I would have thought the noodle mitt would have cost close to that much.

I does depend on how thick the cloths are, there is microfibre and there is microfibre.

It would be worth checking out for that price just for the handy storage box.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cheap.

I would have thought the noodle mitt would have cost close to that much.

I does depend on how thick the cloths are, there is microfibre and there is microfibre.

It would be worth checking out for that price just for the handy storage box.

If the towel is thick enough I'd get it just for the box and towel. I have a Mothers mitt and one towel but as you know if your wanting a perfect job you need a couple of towels. It will cost me over $20 to make the trip in, so need to buy online and collect it next week after work. Tossing up between that kit and the Big Softie from Bowden's.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just bought the kit. I saw that it had 42 decent reviews 4 & 5 stars. If I remember I will post a pic or two when I unpack it.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Got one for the daughter when I bought her a car last year, for the $$$ it was good, the microfibre cloths weren't the best, but still handy, and the wash mitt was GTG, the box keeps everything clean when its stored.
II wouldn't bang the box around though, the plastic kind of looks brittle, but as yet, hasn't cracked

As for microfibre towels, I rate these highly, and at $1 a towel, they are a amazing bargain
s-l400.jpg

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Got one for the daughter when I bought her a car last year, for the $$$ it was good, the microfibre cloths weren't the best, but still handy, and the wash mitt was GTG, the box keeps everything clean when its stored.
II wouldn't bang the box around though, the plastic kind of looks brittle, but as yet, hasn't cracked

As for microfibre towels, I rate these highly, and at $1 a towel, they are a amazing bargain
View attachment 228962
Yep. I use them too. Highly recommended. For the benefit of those reading, it's not immediately obvious, but they are from Costco (costco home brand)

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
On the topic of microfibre towels… what do you use to wash them with? I remember reading somewhere that just tossing them in with your regular laundry and using my regular (coles/woolies home brand special cheapo China spec laundry detergent) messes up the fibres in them?