Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Watch out if you are thinking about tuning your vf or have already done so!

Gaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi all - just had my first 3000 service on the Redline! They advised me that they were also going to do an update on the software. During the conversation I was saying that I was thinking of putting a Cold Air Intake and A tune by Walkinshaw. I had the Cat Back Done already. The Service Manager advised me that if you have your VF tuned they (Holden) will not add anymore software updates during a service: Apparently a directive from Holden HQ! - The issue is that some of these updates are actually required - the latest one being a software update to the AC temp thermostat and a glitch with the "check steering column warning" - I knew you lost warrantee when you re tuned the ECU (Walkinshaw pick up the remainer of the warrantee if you do their power pack) but to not have anymore software upgrades / updates has actually turned me away from the power pack.

You guys heard anything like this! photo.JPGphoto.JPG

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If they update the ecu it will wipe your custom tune, always been the way, not VF specific.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just don't tell them you have a tune, they update the PCM, then go and reinstall the tune. The cost factor could be prohibitive though, unless you buy your tuner lots of Tim Tams.

Freestyla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redoine
If they update the ecu it will wipe your custom tune, always been the way, not VF specific.

Is the W310 pack a custom tune that Walkinshaw have developed using a VF and these settings are flashed to all VF's or do they custom tune each individual car and run on a dyno to check it's output etc?

If its just a standard flash on all VF's, couldn't you request your tuner to re-flash the W310 tune only after a critical holden update?
Which shouldn't cost too much or free if they are nice.

Last edited:

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Surely they wouldn't reflash the entire ECU... wouldn't they just update whats needed? I doubt they'd flash the entire ECU and wipe whats already on there.... either way, your tuner should be able to just download your tune without any problems. They should have it on file and it wouldn't need a re-tune or anything

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Surely they wouldn't reflash the entire ECU... wouldn't they just update whats needed? I doubt they'd flash the entire ECU and wipe whats already on there.... either way, your tuner should be able to just download your tune without any problems. They should have it on file and it wouldn't need a re-tune or anything
If you think a holden dealership has the skillset to selectively update software, provided the ECU can even be updated that way, your severely mistaken.
Each to their own but depending on how the ECU is flashed, if you then put the custom tune back in you loose what Holden have updated.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
an update for the ac temp thermo would be controlled by the bcm so an update to that wont be wiped when putting a tune onto the pcm. but if holden does a re-write of everything you will loose a your tune (providing a custom operating system hasn't been installed or the pcm locked). not 100% on this so happy to stand corrected

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
WP have a base tune that they flash in all the cars dependant on the mods its not a custom tune, even if ur tune is locked holden can still do an update that will wipe ur tune back to factory and put any updates on there, i have hurd that if u need to get an update in ve to tell them u have a custom tune so they dont change that part but it might have changed for the vf, but as said your tuner should have it on file and just go there and can flash it back on simple...

.:Brad:.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Clubsport
I just had the 3000km done on my VF clubby, that is tuned with an exhaust and intake, no issues, they did the update, and I got the car back feeling the same as it did before?