Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water leak

Kiangawari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
There is water leaking from above the gearbox through the floor, when it overheated some water leaked into the passenger side floor near the auto gear stick, how do I fix it?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Sounds like your heater core has given up. that would be why you have coolant around the footwells.

The heater core is behind the dash, it's a pretty big job to replace it (usually dash out) there are a few guides on the forum if you search.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Disconnect the heater and loop a short section of hose between the inlet and outlet on the water pump and see if your water leak stops. If it does, like above your heater core has a leak.
Big job. Wear a jacket.

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
If it's water and not coolant, check the evaporator drain hose. I'm not sure in Commodores, but in pretty much every other car, water leaking into the passenger footwell means an evap drain. The water is coming from the evaporator operating (which is normal) which when the hose is clogged, gets flooded and leaks. Water should come out from somewhere under the car when you have the aircon on, if it doesn't, there's another clue. It'll probably be a lot cheaper than throwing money at the heater core to check this first.

P.S. I just spotted the overheating bit. That makes me less optimistic, but it's still worth checking to see if the aircon drains water, I guess.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If it's definitely coolant that leaked from the vent on the passenger side then it's not going to be fun to fix.
Images from an earlier model, was easier to bin this one and replace it than try to clean it up (mixture of coolant, dirt and mold)

hcore_zpsxn9xkm0z.jpg

acore_zps2kdufypq.jpg

bottom_zps51xm44uq.jpg