Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water on top of engine

marcoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
Should I replace both inlet-maniflod gaskets? Is there much risk involved with a home job?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Should I replace both inlet-maniflod gaskets? Is there much risk involved with a home job?
Seeing though you said you have no experience with engines I think it might be a bit hard for your first attempt. I'm all for people doing their own repairs but I would start with something more simple and and work my way up. If you feel you could do it, then by all means give it a go but it could end up costing you more in the long run.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.

Yes, always replace both gaskets. You will most likely have to buy a top end gasket kit anyway and it will have both of them in it. Maybe if you're not too confident to do it yourself do you have a family member or neighbour etc that is good on the tools?

gontix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S 3.8
I did it myself for the first time over the long week end. It took me a couple of days to complete. It's not really that tricky, but a big job being easy to forget were things go. If you haven't done much on your car before, I would be rather cautious about going ahead.