Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS - Water leaking into drivers side footwell driving me crazy, any ideas?

Dazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 Exec VS S2
Hi,

I have a 1996 VS Exec S2 Commodore, I'm trying to figure out where a water leak is coming into the car and pooling in drivers footwell area I have put a hose straight into the windscreen wiper motor area with cowl removed and run it on medium pressure and I can see water dripping down somewhere inside near the drivers foot rest, with the carpet pulled out but can't see the entry point as to much is in the way, I did hose idea to discount the windscreen at this point I also see water coming from the area where the steering wheel goes through the firewall on the inside. I can't see any visible holes or cracks in the windscreen motor area under cowling the leak only happens when it rains a lot or I wash the car with hose, I'll also add I know that it's not water coming in through the vent up under windscreen.

Anyone know of a common fail point under the cowling, that's not the air vent area?

Thanks!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Not the heater core? Leak area sounds right for leaking heater.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
If the black plastic plenum cover is cracked around where the drivers windscreen wiper boss is, water will work its way down past the grommets and seals in the firewall typically because they’re old and starting to perish a little bit. I was able to seal up the plenum with some black RTV and the drip to the footwell stopped.

As Norti suggests though, make sure it isn’t the heater core or heater piping first. Easy to tell because that will be coolant, not clear water.

Dazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 Exec VS S2
If the black plastic plenum cover is cracked around where the drivers windscreen wiper boss is, water will work its way down past the grommets and seals in the firewall typically because they’re old and starting to perish a little bit. I was able to seal up the plenum with some black RTV and the drip to the footwell stopped.

As Norti suggests though, make sure it isn’t the heater core or heater piping first. Easy to tell because that will be coolant, not clear water.
Thanks both for the suggestions, It's definitely not coolant I did do what you suggested with the RTV silicon already I will check the grommets again, and report back.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Had exact same prob, was blocked vent on drivers side. 3" pool of water on drivers side, leaks from center of car to front of dash.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
utube vid showing you how to unblock the ac tube in the transmission tunnel

And this commonly happens with spiders who like to set up camp inside the tube and drag mud into the tube which in turn blocks it up good and proper. I've had this happen on a few cars I've owned over the years. It's not just common to Holdens either.

Dazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 Exec VS S2
Hey,

How would water be getting to this area near where steering connects through firewall.

> Picture Link here

Cheers for everyone's comments so far, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Perished seal on the steering column.

Remove the column and get the seal sorted.