Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird as noise!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
might be the fan for the hivac unit (ie heater air con)

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
It's not the heater/cooler fan. The noise isn't really a rattle kinda a whurring bearing noise but I have just about replaced evrything on the front I'm sure but apparantly there is a bearing at the back of the balance shaft that can get worn anybody know about that?

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
its not the water pump becuase its been replaced the harmonic balancer is the only thing that hasn't been replaced on the front but why would it make bearing noises?

tha goviner

Reaction score
apparently there is a rubber band that is been pressed in the middle of the balancer thats wat some mecanik told me a whie ago

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
don't think its the harmonic balancer

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
Do a compression test. Sounds like an intake valve...almost through the airbox

Hows the oil condition?
or the balance shaft ?

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Have you tried taking off the belt and running the engine?

If the noise disappears it's one of your ancillaries, if it doesn't then it's something within the engine.

You'll only need to run for about 30 seconds if that to know if the noise goes or not.

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
hey thanks for the reply's the oil is fine just serviced and i service it every 10,000ks. Can i just take it to any mechanic to get a compression test? as far as the balance shaft i have no idea is there a way to check it with out dissembling the engine? i haven't tried running the engine without the belt i didn't really see much point as all the stuff on the front is new and it was still doing it before things were changed plus its hard as it doesn't do it all the time only some times when cold, its just increased lately but ill give it a go may as well see if it rules it out 100%.

cheers

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
hey thanks for the reply's the oil is fine just serviced and i service it every 10,000ks. Can i just take it to any mechanic to get a compression test? as far as the balance shaft i have no idea is there a way to check it with out dissembling the engine? i haven't tried running the engine without the belt i didn't really see much point as all the stuff on the front is new and it was still doing it before things were changed plus its hard as it doesn't do it all the time only some times when cold, its just increased lately but ill give it a go may as well see if it rules it out 100%.

cheers