Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird as noise!

vpshtb0x

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 wagon
Kind of hard to hear but, it sounds similar to the noise my car is making. the noise in mine is a dodgy injector. I'd need to hear it first hand to tell you for sure. a decent mechanic should know immediately what the noise is.

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
i've got the balance shaft bearing making noises on mine. i've been told just to leave it and keep driving it until it breaks and get a new engine. to disconnect it you need to take off the timing chain cover and just remove the chain for the balance shaft. if you do end up doing that. let us know how it goes =P i just deal with the rattle

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
its not a dodgy injector they got replaced a while ago and it was making the noise before and after. some people think it may be a noise from the transmission?

genex

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VP M78 sedan
G'day, My vp had a similar noise when cold. After it warmed up it stopped because there was a crack in the exaust manifold.
I guess the cast iron expanded a bit and closed the crack. Extractors fixed the problem.

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
did yours only do it sometimes because with mine there's no real pattern to it. it only does it when cold but it may do it three days in a row then not at all for a week

genex

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VP M78 sedan
It was sort of irregular, but mainly when cold. Check out your exaust manifold, passenger side between the back two outlets on the manifold itself. The crack may be hidden behind where you can't see so might need a little mirror on a stick to save a lot of spanner work. Exhaust leakage can make a wide range of weird noises, check it out.
Apart from that, the weird noise coming from the passenger side might be from a weird passenger.

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
alright man ill have a look cheers.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey there ryan21 im not sure what your sound is as i couldnt get it to play but i have just put on a question to do with engine noise that is going on with my car. Ive done up a VH with series one motor box etc in her and now that i can start her up i get this wired noise from somewhere around the back of the motor from what i can tell, ive just looked over your bit here and maybe you have the same sound as i do mine seems to be at the peak of the rev when i rev it and a sort of tinny,scratchy whistle thing and from what i gather could be the balance shaft in the motor and if its the bearing to it , it means the engine has to come out to fix but i have seen other entrys that say you can drop the trans to get at it.
But im still not totally sure im going to get a mate who is a mechanic to check it out, i have put a video on my tread under VNs check it out and let us know cheers.

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
hey weston checked out your vid. the sounds completely different from that but it does sound like it is from the back of the motor. and the recording was taken inside the car. john boy it made the noise the other day so i flicked it to petrol and it did seem to make the noise stop but my car changes to petrol quite badly lot of sputering and seems like its konking out for about 5 or so secs then its fine so i dont know if that does somthing to stop it or not. if you have any idea let me know.
cheers.