Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird How Wiper Go Before Water on VF?

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
I only use my wipers when it rains.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Since much in our VF’s is controlled by the BCM, maybe @TazzI can do a little magic and reprogram the wiper/washer logic as Holden should have done to begin with; squirt the glass before tripping wipe action ;)

In any case, I hand wash the windscreen and only drive my Motorsport when it’s dry outside. So the poor wiper/washer logic doesn’t impact me so much though I should head others advice and use demineralised water in the washer bottle to stop the squirt nozzle from clogging.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
^ yeah, I also suspect the glass composition is not as scratch proof as the glass in previous older cars I’ve owned.

Heck, there was even a period where some glass had minerals or coating within to help with heat rejection to reduce aircon loads. But that seemed to upset those road toll tags so I guess windscreen glass composition was quietly altered and cars interiors seem to get hotter (it ain’t global warming)...
Maybe so? But, at least the skin peeling vinyl seats and branding irons disguised as seat belt buckles are no longer! :eek:

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Maybe so? But, at least the skin pealing vinyl seats and branding irons disguised as seat belt buckles are no longer! :eek:
Those branding irons were a right of passage... :p

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Since much in our VF’s is controlled by the BCM, maybe @TazzI can do a little magic and reprogram the wiper/washer logic as Holden should have done to begin with; squirt the glass before tripping wipe action ;)

What???
There is nothing wrong with THIS Holden in that area, so it is with yours, and...?

Just pop the hood and check the integrity of the anti-reflux valve on the hose is not allowing drain-back between actions, which, by association means air comes out before the water. The ARV was replaced twice on my VZ (a $4.00 part, proving it does fail).

I can't see where or how you make a wiper/wash an electronic/BCM arrangement. If you have a look at the base of the washer bottle, it is just the pump and long hose (including to the rear wiper wash function) working its way into the hood and nozels.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Windscreen companies love it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
This interesting.

I'm going through the VF manual and the washer nozzles remained as they were on all VE models where they are attached to the wiper arm only on VF Luxury models. (stato etc).

Lower level models received washer nozzles fitted to the underside of the trailing edge of the bonnet.

When I overhauled the VE, I used a VF II wiper motor. Same as VE.

VF HSV models use a different washer bottle set up. It's more traditional and mounted behind the passenger side guard trim.

That might be a handy item for those adding blowers or turbos to regular models and need more room behind the bumper.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 5.03.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 5.03.43 pm.png

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I now exclusively use demineralised water in the washer bottle now because Perth scheme water has a high salt content and super high calcium content. In many parts of Perth, scheme water no longer meets WHO standards.

I actually prefer the washer design of the VE & VF Longwheelbase where the nozzles are fitted to the wiper arm.

There is a higher volume of water going straight onto the windscreen much faster than does on the VZ. The VZ does have water hit the screen earlier, however, the volume of water is less and and takes long to spread across the windscreen. So there's that.

The VZ often gets blocked nozzles too, and the direction needs constant adjustment. I got the VE wiper arms and tried to figure out how I could adapt the design to the VZ wiper arm.
I'd need to weld parts of the VE arm to VZ for the set up to work and welding is one skill I have never learnt.

And here we are talking about how peeps don't like it.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I now exclusively use demineralised water in the washer bottle now because Perth scheme water has a high salt content and super high calcium content. In many parts of Perth, scheme water no longer meets WHO standards.

I actually prefer the washer design of the VE & VF Longwheelbase where the nozzles are fitted to the wiper arm.

There is a higher volume of water going straight onto the windscreen much faster than does on the VZ. The VZ does have water hit the screen earlier, however, the volume of water is less and and takes long to spread across the windscreen. So there's that.

The VZ often gets blocked nozzles too, and the direction needs constant adjustment. I got the VE wiper arms and tried to figure out how I could adapt the design to the VZ wiper arm.
I'd need to weld parts of the VE arm to VZ for the set up to work and welding is one skill I have never learnt.

And here we are talking about how peeps don't like it.

Demineralised water has merit! I was issued with an official Hospital advice here in Victoria on my first around Australia trip in May 2011, and that advice was to avoid water in two States: South Australia and Perth/WA, as the water was found to be unsafe specifically for people with a kidney transplant (mine was done in 1977 and is Australia's longest in-service). There were reports of acute progressive renal failure in Adelaide put down to this, which also occurred during the 1980s and early 1990s. At one stage Darwin and Alice Springs were also blacklisted while research was carried out (Alice Springs has a very large number of dialysis patients, many in poor health, and dialysate solution is extremely pure). The takeaway is that what's not safe for kidney transplants (sensitive to minerals and especially salt) is probably not safe for windscreen washer contents, particularly anything with high iron or mixed mineral content or, especially, salinity.

That bit about the windscreen wiper/washer modus operandi is fascinating, absolutely. But my concern is with the integrity of the hose from the bottle to the nozels, not the electronics as a first port of call. The VZ squirt was quite bold and powerful, and yes, it needed a lot of adjustment so it didn't squirt over the roof or aimed badly, and unclogging with a fine dressmaker's pin was a routine chore. I like the classy, gentle douche-like spray of the VF!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The problems with Perth's water supply also extends past calcium and salt content. It also has to do with nutrient (nitrate) content from fertilisers used by Perth residents on gardens.
Perth is almost entirely dependant on ground water.
Renal health is on the radar in many areas of public health, however politically difficult to address. Perth will have a renal health problem in decades to come. (An area I have quite a bit of expertise in)