Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird How Wiper Go Before Water on VF?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I can say with the 3 VFs I have owned that the water definitely comes on after the wipers have moved.
Would assume this is a safety feature so that water doesn't obscure your vision before the wipers are able to clean it off.
In which case I have turned off the Auto wiper function on both my Calais and Director and only use wipers during rain, or after I have given the windscreen a rinse. My washer fluids are pretty much full when I reach the next service because I never use it.
Am I fussed with the design? I can see the merit of having it before or after the wipers moving. I'll keep washing my windscreen by hand in the meantime.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
This interesting.

I'm going through the VF manual and the washer nozzles remained as they were on all VE models where they are attached to the wiper arm only on VF Luxury models. (stato etc).

Lower level models received washer nozzles fitted to the underside of the trailing edge of the bonnet.

When I overhauled the VE, I used a VF II wiper motor. Same as VE.

VF HSV models use a different washer bottle set up. It's more traditional and mounted behind the passenger side guard trim.

That might be a handy item for those adding blowers or turbos to regular models and need more room behind the bumper.

View attachment 208898
View attachment 208899
Interesting. I suppose the reason Caprices retained the VE setup is because they only got some VF kit. As exterior panels remained unchanged, including the bonnet, gaurds and cowling, the wiper washer setup carried straight over from WM/VE.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Since much in our VF’s is controlled by the BCM, maybe @TazzI can do a little magic and reprogram the wiper/washer logic as Holden should have done to begin with; squirt the glass before tripping wipe action ;)
What???
There is nothing wrong with THIS Holden in that area, so it is with yours, and...?...
The thread was about how the wipers move before the washer actually squirts. And it’s only an assumption that the anti-drain valve may be causing the delay in washer fluid. Such hasn’t been confirmed to be the case. It may indeed be the cause but as the BMC also controls the wiper & washer system, as @Fu Manchu confirms above, it could just as easily be a program timing issue.

So the point of my comment being that so much of our vehicle control is software dependant, people like @TazzI are our saviour. Yes, Holden could have updated the BCM, to even cope with failing anti-brain back valves if they had any interest in serving their customers, they don’t.

But as far as I’m concerned, there is nothing for me to worry about as I don’t drive my garage queen in the rain ;)

Still, I’d have liked to have seen an improvement in the bread. An improved VE wiper washer design on VF1&2 where there were dual washer circuits, above and below the wiper blade. One squirts fluid above the top edge of the blade when it’s on the upwards stroke and stops at the end of the top, then the second washer circuit squirts under the bottom of the blade on the downward stroke. That way, even in dry weather, washing bird **** off the screen would be most effective as the wiper blade will never be dragged over a dry windscreen. Too advanced, too many bean counters, too little time left for Holden.

Why Holden couldn’t at-least settle on the one consistent wiper washer design, VE and onwards, is
telling and probably an indicator of how they lost their way.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I can say with the 3 VFs I have owned that the water definitely comes on after the wipers have moved.
i have been through 1x evoke, 3x sv6 and 1 ssv and all of them are the same with the wipers almost doing a full wipe cycle before the water comes out.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The problems with Perth's water supply also extends past calcium and salt content. It also has to do with nutrient (nitrate) content from fertilisers used by Perth residents on gardens.
Perth is almost entirely dependant on ground water.
Renal health is on the radar in many areas of public health, however politically difficult to address. Perth will have a renal health problem in decades to come. (An area I have quite a bit of expertise in)

Coober Pedy, Alice Springs, Tennant Creek... others, all have water quality problems impacting renal patients in those areas. Last time I heard Coober had run out of drinking water! On my trip around the block in 2011 we stayed in Perth but used my supply of bottled water, continuing that all the way to Esperance! I have not been back to Perth since 2011, always skirting around it (with Margie River being a personal fav, as we have rellies who own a winery estate there).

Anyways...would build date have an effect on why my wipers don't behave the same as what others are speaking of here? The car was built in August 2017.

@Skylarking What are you doing??? You're car is stuck in the garage, never seeing the gift of rain from the heavens? Shame!!
Don't you take it to the snow? Into the deserts? Up to the Alps??
Rain is delightful.The VF can effectively shrug off TORRENTIAL DELUGE (far, far better than the VZ,), just like the one I drove through Wednesday (albeit at 70km/h) where 49mm fell in 28 minutes; it was like Noah's Ark on blacktop... Cruise off, traction control on and wipers to FRENZY MODE! No lasting dirt or grime: because of the ceramic wet-look overcoat I had done in late November, the car doesn't ever need a wash, just a rinse to remove all dirt etc.
We're about to be drenched by another couple of supercells on Monday, which should make for more entertaining driving. Come on, come out and play in the rain! :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ the nuts on the road are bad enough in the dry and they only get nuttier in the wet :rolleyes:

But she likes it when I take her out so must do so more often :p

May live on the wild side and take her out for a free heavenly wash during the next torrential downpour (she’s also wearing a slinky ceramic dress) :D but then again maybe not :p

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
^ the nuts on the road are bad enough in the dry and they only get nuttier in the wet :rolleyes:

But she likes it when I take her out so must do so more often :p

May live on the wild side and take her out for a free heavenly wash during the next torrential downpour (she’s also wearing a slinky ceramic dress) :D but then again maybe not :p

Pssssst: I know a big, big puddle nearby, more than 3m across.
Here's the plan: you bring the old sparkler down here, park alongside the puddle and count down to 3, while I roar up in the Go-kart. Free car wash and excellent photo opportunity! :p:D

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
would build date have an effect on why my wipers don't behave the same as what others are speaking of here? The car was built in August 2017

There was probably a software change in the bcm that put a delay on the wiper motor being started when water is being sprayed in the later models.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
There was probably a software change in the bcm that put a delay on the wiper motor being started when water is being sprayed in the later models.

I have two MY17 cars. One has the water available when first wipe ocurs, The other doesn't. I would say the water must run back towards the bottle when not in use. I have driven many VF's and this this is the case. If you use the water a lot for the windscreen, it should be there on the first wipe. As I stated earlier, the VE had a delay in the wipers but used to spray under the wiper so you still had a dry windscreen when you first turned on the wipers.