Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Welding on the vehicle :S

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
Say I finally got off my arse and got some solid wire and gas to extend my muffler tips on my ute.

What sort of precautions would I need to take when I tack the pieces of pipe into place onto the muffler, there's the obvious remove the battery like I did with my sierra, do you need to remove and unplug the computer as well?

*I'd like to do it with the mufflers mounted so I can make sure they exit the right spot behind the car. Just need to put a few spots on so they dont move, take em off and then weld them properly.

Cheers for any input.

Mark

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Disconnect the battery for piece of mind.

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
Ok, so if I disconnect the battery and put the work clamp basically where I'm welding (which is what I do anyway, because lazy) I'll be right?

Cheers folks

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Yeh by keeping the work return lead or earth as most call it as close to what your welding and disconnecting the battery + lead should be all good. 1st thing I learnt when doing my trade as a welder:)

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
I must admit cars and their electrics etc have changed alot over the years since i did my trade