Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Well Done Alan Joyce - BALLSY!

Bill44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08 MY09
Ahhhh but you forget to take into account one KEY factor regarding safety. The amount of people on the roads and their attitudes. I'd much rather drive around in the 70s in a Kingswood than in any modern car in modern society.

Safety should be measured by the total amount of injuries/deaths in proportion to population that occur on the roads.
Back in the 70's we had roughly half the population and 3 times the deaths that we have now. Your claim is about as logical as the rest of your statements.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Another one of those policies that was to spell the end of the world for Australian manufacturing. At the time we could barely make good enough cars to satisfy our market. Now we export. That policy may have impacted the workforce in the day but it was one that actually did have a good result. What the next 5 – 10 years brings who knows but we wouldn’t be driving Commodores with all the goodies for the bargain basement rices we currently are.

Do you want to come to my work and tell that to the 1000 people who lost theirs jobs because we cant compete in the australian market???

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Do you want to come to my work and tell that to the 1000 people who lost theirs jobs because we cant compete in the australian market???
I sympathise with anyone who loses their job when its outside their control. I sympathise with any business that cannot complete and must close. The example of the automotive industry hurt a lot of people and jobs as well but it did give the Australian automotive industry an extension of its life. Our way of life and our expectations are such that we can’t compete with other countries in manufacturing of everything. We need to be in markets where we are competitive and not beat the dead horses. Easier said than done of course.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909

Who's laid off 1000 people?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
from your attitude i don't think you'll have too much trouble getting rid of them

keeping them might be your problem

:rofl:

I would be a bad employer for expecting someone to do what they are paid to do well? My apologies for not wanting to employ a lazy piece of **** who does nothing to warrant employment. I have expectations, I expect those to be met and I also expect those who cannot meet them to move on.

God ####ing help us.

Employ them as a contractor. You pay them for what they work plus they are responsible for their own work cover insurance and superannuation. Like any subby you can employ them for as much or as little depending on your workload or their performance. In most cases unfair dismissal laws and the like do not apply as it's a business-business relationship.

Reaper

Reap, cheers for that advice. I have actually enlisted a small business person to help guide me on employing someone and what not. I cannot afford to take a bad risk considering what I risk to lose.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Hey minux I have a question for you, have you ever trained someone?

The only boss I ever respected at woolworths earned his respect because he'd fired 2 people in his 20 years with the company, he was renowned for his 98% efficiency rating, he'd look at what you just said and he'd call you a bad manager (im not I dont know you).

He use to say that if you expect someone to be perfect off the bat, then your job as a manager is irrelevant. All supervisors, managers etc, who want perfect people off the bat prove how redundant THEIR position is, their position isnt to sit at the top of the pyramid, its to make sure everything is working and sustainable.

He learned being a Navy officer that you could take just about any man, and if you didnt give up on them (and put the fear of god into them) you could train them. The only 2 employees he ever fired were for stealing and he made an example of them like nothing else. He noticed after working for woolies how many 'dregs' were being passed by, when he ran out of 'good people' to give jobs to he got stuck with a few and found them useless. So he changed the way he trained them.

Found strategies to get them working efficiently.

But this was a guy who didnt care about profits, how much people liked him, or worrying about shareholders, public image etc.

This guy shoulda been running SA's woolies operation, he did awesome at our store until the poor guy had a heart attack after all those years.

Instead in all the time he was there he got passed up for spineless yes men and psychopaths who seemed to 'have balls' and woolies is now a super profit company..... thats left most of its roots, screws farmers, and treats staff like meat to a grinder and has some pretty freaking morale thanks to this.

Im seeing a pattern with a lot of businesses going this way.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Considering that is my normal job, then yes.

You are missing the point. If I employ someone with the skills i require and they cannot do any of these skills to what I need, I need to remove them. I do not have the time to employ someone for 12 months for something I need done now. If i was looking for a junior then I would train them the way I want things done. When you employ a non junior person to a specific role, you expect you get someone that can do 75% of the job off the bat. If they need too much time, they are not a worthy investment.

Your woolworths guy wasn't running his own privately owned store, as such he could afford to waste a companies time training people to a standard. This is MY business where every hour and every dollar counts, I do not have time to take someone that is at 25% of the level i require and spend 12 months getting them to level. If you wish to fund my business to train a 1/4 trained staff member, feel free to send funds and I will be happy to help out.

doms1

Reaction score
Members Ride
BANNED
Ballsy NO,dummy spit YES.When you look at their os competition who are either owned wholly or partially by Government ,I don't see the comparison?Why wouldn't the work stay in this country?I don't like unions much (self employed contractor myself)BUT someone has to do something.Seriously do you think other countries will do everything cheaper forever?or once they dominate a market will they put up prices?This same scenario can effect any industry or person,what happens when companies say I can get a indian with your tertiary skills for less $$?We need to protect our severign nation ,not get ####ed up the ass by everyone else.The problem is as displayed in this thread too many people want to slag off everyone elses self worth and act like they are the best employee-business owner in the world.never seen so many CEOS and big multi millionaire business owners o na car forum.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

The only boss I ever respected at woolworths earned his respect because he'd fired 2 people in his 20 years with the company, he was renowned for his 98% efficiency rating, he'd look at what you just said and he'd call you a bad manager (im not I dont know you).

He use to say that if you expect someone to be perfect off the bat, then your job as a manager is irrelevant. All supervisors, managers etc, who want perfect people off the bat prove how redundant THEIR position is, their position isnt to sit at the top of the pyramid, its to make sure everything is working and sustainable.

He learned being a Navy officer that you could take just about any man, and if you didnt give up on them (and put the fear of god into them) you could train them. The only 2 employees he ever fired were for stealing and he made an example of them like nothing else. He noticed after working for woolies how many 'dregs' were being passed by, when he ran out of 'good people' to give jobs to he got stuck with a few and found them useless. So he changed the way he trained them.

He sounds like a great teacher and people person perfect for his role.

But this was a guy who didnt care about profits, how much people liked him, or worrying about shareholders, public image etc.

If only everybody had that luxury. Unfortunately most do, particularly senior managers. It's either that or the company fails because they are not doing their jobs. As un pc as it might be - companies need to be profitable. Un profitable companies eventually run out of cash and then everybody is suddenly out of a job. Simple as that.

Reaper