Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wet under drivers side and passenger side

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Last week I noticed there was some water under my passenger floor mat and assumed it was the ac because my mate had the same problem but I just checked and my drivers side has even more water. I checked online and everywhere seems to reference only the passenger side. Is there a different problem if it’s coming out driver side or have most other sources just been coincidental

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Your not alone,
I had the same issue, dried it out, and haven't checked it again,
But the back passengers carpet was wet on mine, not the drivers side.

But it was mentioned in a thread I think, it could be the water seeping down where the HVAC unit is not sealed against the firewall.
I was going to have a look, but been a tad busy toward the EOFY, and tidying up the after marth of the EOFY.
However, its on the list of things to do,
I am beginning to think, my wife has a toilet roll as her list of thing for me to do !

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Your not alone,
I had the same issue, dried it out, and haven't checked it again,
But the back passengers carpet was wet on mine, not the drivers side.

But it was mentioned in a thread I think, it could be the water seeping down where the HVAC unit is not sealed against the firewall.
I was going to have a look, but been a tad busy toward the EOFY, and tidying up the after marth of the EOFY.
However, its on the list of things to do,
I am beginning to think, my wife has a toilet roll as her list of thing for me to do !
Ahh okay thanks, I’m not too good with it all so hopefully it isn’t too hard of a fix for me. Still learning the basics. Hopefully I don’t need to replace any seals. I’m hoping just clearing the drain hole will fix it otherwise I’ll have to look closer at the firewall

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Heavy rain can come in via a few places.
1. via the interior air intake. Under the wiper shroud where the cabin air filter fits. Where that meets the firewall. Fix: silicone along the top between the two surfaces.
2. Drain tubes from sunroof.
3. The pedal plate in the firewall rusts out really badly. It’s what your pedals bolt to, and the brake booster. Hidden behind all the carpet and then sound proofing on both sides. Fix: remove the entire dash assembly, pedals and brake booster. Replace. (VF used a high density plastic instead) Ask me how I know.
4. Doors. Water runs down the plastic sheet inside the trims and into the foot wells. Fix: new outer weatherstrips and get a weather/dust kit for inside the doors from car builders.
5. AC drain hole (passenger side)
6. Roof seams (has happened but rare)

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
Here's a post (see below) that I did years ago that will find out if it's getting in via the doors. Very easy to do. Just need a garden hose and outside garden tap.

All the doors allow water to go down into them. You will see small gaps next to the door window glass. However when the water enters the door it exits the door via the drain holes in the door. This is how it is supposed to work.

HOWEVER if there is an issue with the plastic that sits behind the internal door trim it might allow the water that enters the door to drip into the car from behind the door trim. If it enters from behind the door trim the door seal can't stop it as the entry point is already beyond the door seal. (This plastic is held in place by some sticky crap similar to windscreen sealant).

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND IT WILL DETERMINE IF THE PLASTIC BEHIND THE TRIM IS YOUR ISSUE (and this is so easy to do!!!!!!!!!).

1. If you suspect the driver's door then fully open the driver's door.
2. Get the garden hose and slowly dribble water onto the driver's door window allowing water the enter the door through those slight gaps (I mentioned). Leave hose on for 5 minutes or so.
3. Then periodically inspect whether water is coming out of door behind the door trim (at the inside bottom of the door trim). If it is you have a problem with the plastic protection behind the internal door trim. (Note: water should also be coming out the drain holes at the bottom of the door while doing this test).

If this doesn't show water leaking in do this with the other doors especially the rear passenger door. Also it may be prudent to park the car with the driver's side slightly higher than the passenger side of the car. This is the angle the car will be on when it is paralleled parked in the street with the camber of the road putting the car on this very slight angle. This slight angle lets the water that enters the driver's side doors hit the plastic (behind the internal door trim) easier.

If you find water leaking from the internal door trim, remove the door trim and repeat with the garden hose and you will see the problem.

This is what happened to my car. Running the garden hose on the window with the door open was a real winner in finding where the problem was. In my case it was the rear driver's side passenger door and the carpet in the footwell of the rear driver's side passenger was wet.

Hope this helps!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
How good is that advice. Super helpful. :)

That plastic is what I mentioned a post or two back. Car Builders does a kit that replaces the factory dust seal. It includes new “Sticky Crap” and you can make it better than Holden did.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Heavy rain can come in via a few places.
1. via the interior air intake. Under the wiper shroud where the cabin air filter fits. Where that meets the firewall. Fix: silicone along the top between the two surfaces.
2. Drain tubes from sunroof.
3. The pedal plate in the firewall rusts out really badly. It’s what your pedals bolt to, and the brake booster. Hidden behind all the carpet and then sound proofing on both sides. Fix: remove the entire dash assembly, pedals and brake booster. Replace. (VF used a high density plastic instead) Ask me how I know.
4. Doors. Water runs down the plastic sheet inside the trims and into the foot wells. Fix: new outer weatherstrips and get a weather/dust kit for inside the doors from car builders.
5. AC drain hole (passenger side)
6. Roof seams (has happened but rare)
Thanks I took it to a mechanic and we think it’s the drain plug but we do need to remove the dash to get to the one on my model car. I’m hoping it’s nothing too big, but apparently it can get wet on the driver side from aggressive driving which does sound like me cheers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Here's a post (see below) that I did years ago that will find out if it's getting in via the doors. Very easy to do. Just need a garden hose and outside garden tap.

All the doors allow water to go down into them. You will see small gaps next to the door window glass. However when the water enters the door it exits the door via the drain holes in the door. This is how it is supposed to work.

HOWEVER if there is an issue with the plastic that sits behind the internal door trim it might allow the water that enters the door to drip into the car from behind the door trim. If it enters from behind the door trim the door seal can't stop it as the entry point is already beyond the door seal. (This plastic is held in place by some sticky crap similar to windscreen sealant).

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND IT WILL DETERMINE IF THE PLASTIC BEHIND THE TRIM IS YOUR ISSUE (and this is so easy to do!!!!!!!!!).

1. If you suspect the driver's door then fully open the driver's door.
2. Get the garden hose and slowly dribble water onto the driver's door window allowing water the enter the door through those slight gaps (I mentioned). Leave hose on for 5 minutes or so.
3. Then periodically inspect whether water is coming out of door behind the door trim (at the inside bottom of the door trim). If it is you have a problem with the plastic protection behind the internal door trim. (Note: water should also be coming out the drain holes at the bottom of the door while doing this test).

If this doesn't show water leaking in do this with the other doors especially the rear passenger door. Also it may be prudent to park the car with the driver's side slightly higher than the passenger side of the car. This is the angle the car will be on when it is paralleled parked in the street with the camber of the road putting the car on this very slight angle. This slight angle lets the water that enters the driver's side doors hit the plastic (behind the internal door trim) easier.

If you find water leaking from the internal door trim, remove the door trim and repeat with the garden hose and you will see the problem.

This is what happened to my car. Running the garden hose on the window with the door open was a real winner in finding where the problem was. In my case it was the rear driver's side passenger door and the carpet in the footwell of the rear driver's side passenger was wet.

Hope this helps!
Thanks heaps, i think I’ll save that for future use, but I think it must be the ac because at the same time my drain holes in the door got clogged and I had to take the bottom seal off to clean it, so it couldn’t have been leaking anywhere else. But definitely useful info thanks heaps

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks I took it to a mechanic and we think it’s the drain plug but we do need to remove the dash to get to the one on my model car. I’m hoping it’s nothing too big, but apparently it can get wet on the driver side from aggressive driving which does sound like me cheers
I'd be getting a quote from them first!
You'll be up for a large repair bill! There is hours of work involved so a budget of $700-$2000 won't be unexpected. To get to that grommet at all, the HVAC has to come out as well as the dash.

Water in the car from aggressive driving sounds like a new one for me. I thinnk you are about to get taken for an aggressive ride IMO.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
I'd be getting a quote from them first!
You'll be up for a large repair bill! There is hours of work involved so a budget of $700-$2000 won't be unexpected. To get to that grommet at all, the HVAC has to come out as well as the dash.

Water in the car from aggressive driving sounds like a new one for me. I thinnk you are about to get taken for an aggressive ride IMO.
I already asked for a quote and he said 200-300. I think because my car is an omega some different components have been moved.

and I think when the water builds up behind the firewall or whatever it is when I turn it spilt over

he said dash but I think he meant more underneath where your feet go