Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wh land barge daily.

Discussion in 'VT - VX - VU - WH - V2' started by harrop.senator, Nov 12, 2017.

1. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    Piston to valves last issue with shaving heads you can upset stock geometry with shaving them too far. I did eye up some 706? 5.3 heads for 350 pair delivered but with no income for two months I decided no lol.

2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Please explain....

harrop.senator likes this.
  3. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Biscuiting Waroona dam. Dukes of hazard moment no no no sounded like go go go. Tow Jet ski was pinned at 58mph I was on the arc hit a wake skipping stoned four times across the water first time I hit soft part of my forearm hit water eye / cheek bone hit the top side and snapped the main bone on an angle into the wrist section.

Pulled myself up on the jet ski with it n thought it was broke due to a very centralised pain. Glad I didn't listen to anyone else everyone thought I wasn't in enough pain for it to be broken.

But I'm that guy who's had over a thousand stitches and only hurt myself half a dozen times. I don't do things in half. Best joke so far goes to my uncle. " you've been in too many fights n punched in the face to many times. Your eyes barely swollen not even Black and you're fore arms in two pieces"

4. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Ouch....hope it heels welll & quickly.

5. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Didn't n doesn't hurt that much only hurts when the bone moves as was smashing nerves lol.

I just hope for quick as I need to get back to work asap.

6. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Done couple of niggly Jobs this week I was wanting to get pros to fix. I removed the bubbling rear tint and stapled up the roof lining. Keep the pigs happy now it's my only transport.

I leather cared the interior and fitted an otr. I brought it used I think it's a castle Hill performance. Was a bit fiddly to fit I couldn't remove the shroud to use a grinder. Didn't trust a cut off wheel one handed next to the radiator.

It took an hour n a half with a steak knife, flat head and a file lol. Butt dyno says no difference to the 4" pod set up at all. Noise is same or possibly quieter. But will look trick colour matched to the rocker covers / coil mounts and the polished manifold lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. vr304

vr304 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 ssv manual
    Probably needs a touch up tune to suit the Otr, also a lot of Otr’s for vt-vz model cars run that silly small air filter on them, not enough air going in to feed a cammed engine... x air make an Otr with a much bigger filter in it

8. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Fair enough will be retuned once back together n can afford it. I paid $120 for this Castle Hill n was about the limit I was prepared to pay so it'll stay. But a lot of the us guys don't run otrs as they think they're wank. May be right I simply brought it to clean the bay up.

9. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Apparently worth couple tenths down the 1/4 but on the street mostly sound & looks.

Meant to be one of the better designs with fatter neck at throttle body.

$120 is good if you compared it to price of new retail.

10. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Yeah I wasn't prepared to pay more but I was prepared to pay under $150 n was 80+ post. This had a 4" yella Terra silicone feed pipe with a 4" piece of exhaust pipe mounted to lift point n 4x9 pod set up on it. The pod sounded better lol. Barely hear the otr over the exhaust n its as quiet as I can get the exhaust off the shelf.

11. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    They really get a couple tenths off between otr n a pod pipe? Can usually feel a couple tenths in the cheeks.

12. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Guessing top end of track as most cold air setups dont make much difference untill 100km/h.

That otr prototype was based from heavily modified plastic paint tray off the 11sec blue vu ute NOG33K back in the day with CHE

harrop.senator likes this.
  13. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Hahaha Bunnings spec otrs only heard of the glory days wasn't into ls1s then to see them in person. Have seen pvc piped intercoolers though and fitted many Bunnings lips myself so can't judge to much.

14. vr304

vr304 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 ssv manual
    To me that otr looks like a piss poor design full stop, alloy that sits on top of the radiator= heat soak, tiny filter= not enough airflow for a cammed 5.7L engine, it's not pointed down towards the front grill so not really getting that airflow that otr's are designed to do so pretty much everything bad about an otr but none of the positives..... Just my personal opinion of course

15. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Meh. Same filter size as vcm n plenty proven vcm results. They all sit on the radiator , lots of good Power results with alloy ones. Heatsoaked not an issue once you get past the first 20 metres. I mean it's not like intercoolers are made of alloy and sit against a radiator or anything right?

Worst case scenario it costs me 2%? 8hp yep should of spent $600 on the ducks nuts du speed one n pull an extra 10 hp rather then spend $900 and pull an extra 80-100... It'll do the job its a street car and already blows doors off most things from a set of lights n is a limo.

16. vr304

vr304 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 ssv manual
    Fair enough mate

17. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Car got noisy lifters motor came out back in Feb. Brought everything Id think I'd need til I pulled it down. And then has to fly east for my sister's wedding. So stopped the spending. Luckily as I came home to no apprenticeship and the small amount of money I had left from the holiday pulled me through til I'd organised some small jobs.

They'd re used the tty balancer bolt with a rattle gun stretched the thread to be about 2mm.

Bye bye crank.

Had stock pushrods and valve springs.

So cams gone to someone else.

Undecided on whether I'll be reusing pistons or going some with valve cut outs so I can deck the heads .030 or just go .020 with flats.

Sold the 32-3500 stall last fortnight and installed it for a bloke and had one made to replace it.

New stalls a made to order unit carbon lock up plates , anti ballooning etc. Rated to 650 flywheel HP. Flashed at 4100 rpm at 400 ft lbs.

[​IMG]

Heads have been pulled down and have started on them. Valves aren't the best undecided on whether to buy some used ones and make a good set or just buy brand spankers as will have guides and seats replaced once finished with heads anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've gotta re draw the shape and mark out the exhaust ports using the header flange as the gaskets huge and can't really use it to grasp how big to raise the roof to. I took some meat out of it and will square it up once I measure and mark them all.

18. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    No apprenticeship?? Can they do that?? I thought apprenticeship rules had changed, since I was an apprentice. Doesn't the board have to find you a new employer to take you on as an apprentice??

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  19. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Did the ring around and it turned out the contract I'd signed with the apprenticentre when they came out was the prelim and you sign them. Then it goes to the government and you get legalising hard copies and sign those.

Those were on the desk while I was on holiday. Theirs a three month clause after signing that any party can call it quits with zero notice and reasoning with zero repucussions.

20. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    :(:(Well that is just plain sht HS.... Now trying to find another adult apprenticeship I imagine would be hard as.