Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] WH LS1 manual conversion

piottn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman Internation Series II Gen III
theres heaps of posts on manual conversions into VQ/VS statesmans but I can't find any information about putting a T56 6 speed into a WH statesman... what is required, how much will it cost and can it be done at home? and also will the extra length of the statesman make it different to a VT/VX commodore?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
yes the extra length will be different to a vt/x... sedan... the wagon on the other hand will be the same as the statesman/caprice...due to the stato/caprice being on a wagon chassis

piottn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman Internation Series II Gen III
so is it still possible?

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
so is it still possible?

i would imagine so, they made a VY SS manual Wagon. so the parts are out there. wheather its worth it at the moment is a different story.

S

Shanus69

Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone attempted such a conversion for a wh stato/caprice/grange?

S

Shanus69

Maaadd, so can you get a manual straight out of any old commodore or you need the manual from the wagon chassis? how much did that cost you roughly mate if you dont mind me asking?

slo82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SL
I have an auto VX exec LS1 backed with an auto. the paint on roof and bonnet faded, 168,000km on the clock, due for suspension freshen up. pain freshen up and the steel wheel well they have to go. i recon of i upgrade the suspension with something low, fresh paint, maybe a set of CV8Z wheels or something it will be a nice car once again especially if i squeeze out some more power from a dyno tune. it will cost a lot less then upgrading the car to something else plus to try sell it in its current state would loose to much. but a manual conversion would make all the difference.

so lets start a parts list

T56
clutch
flywheel
tail shaft???
pedal box
ecu sorted out converting it to manual from auto. (can this happen at same time as maybe a dyno tune or is the software in ecu completely wrong?
then there is wiring... is it easier to replace entire auto loom with manual one? or is it as easy as bridging the neutral starter switch etc.

to sell this car id get maybe 5000 bucks, to get into something manual, maybe a manual VZ SS id have to spend at least 10grand... the said VZ could have its own list of gremlins what wond be found till in ownership. if i spend similar coin on the VX it would have new suspension plus a real freshen up essentially lasting me alot longer. the look of the VX is realy nice also .... what ya recon...

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
T56
Bellhousing
Crossmember
Flywheel/Clutch
Slave
Clutch line
Master
Clutch pedal
Manual brake pedal (or cut auto pedal down slightly)
Shifter
Boot

Things you don't need:

Transmission mount. Auto/manual mount is the same
Tailshaft. Auto/manual are the same
PCM (ECU). No point changing it, it is locked to your BCM anyway, so either way it will need a retune.

If you have the option of a full manual loom, take it. Makes the job easier, but it is possible to modify the auto loom. Theres more to it than just bridging the neutral switch. There are 3 plugs on the T56, 2 of which you will not have plugs for from the auto loom.

If you are changing looms, make sure you get the right one.

VT/VX looms are different to VY looms.
VZ looms will not work with anything pre-VZ, nor will the PCM.
Make sure you get a loom with all the features you require. Cruise control and traction control are not standard on all looms.