Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman 3.8Ltr 6 cyl with a Dangerous issue

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I think it'll set a fault code.
AFAIK the is no code or Engine light is not on. Will find out as I will see the car this morning and I will take the car for a short drive.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I had the similar idle issue, after I bought and installed non-genuine TPS and IACV, and had very similar issues,
I got to the point also of frustration,
It would idle fast on first start, and stay at 1100 > 1200 RPM, and would not drop to 850 > 900 rpm even when up to Temp,
In actual fact you didn't need your foot on the accelerator to drive it as 60km/h,
And it only started after I bought the non-genuine cheap parts.
So I made a mission of it, and went to the wreckers and bought 2 sets of TPS and IACV,
making sure both/set were removed from same/each car.

Got home, cleaned them up, and put the first set on,
and its started correctly [being the engine was cold] and idled as it should.

The following morning [while engine was also cold], I placed the second set on, and it also idled correctly.

I then re-fitted the first set, and it has Not Faulted since, and runs/drives perfectly,
So I have packaged the second set up, and placed them on the shelf in the garage for a rainy day.

Forgot about this post, typical me
Interesting! So much for non Genuine parts. If you had to guess or done a test what was the issue? The TPS or IACV or both
I've only struct this before on non genuine parts (Laptop Battery) but it was not car parts related and I wonder why they still this stuff if they know you will have issues.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You just can't beat genuine sensors and electronic parts!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I wonder why they still this stuff if they know you will have issues.
Because they make money and their return policy states no refund if electronic stuff connected. So most people will not go to the trouble of returning it even though ACL would require a refund to be provided on this defective part.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Because they make money and their return policy states no refund if electronic stuff connected. So most people will not go to the trouble of returning it even though ACL would require a refund to be provided on this defective part.

Your Right, I didn't event try to get a refund,
Why, they were cheap !
Were I should of originally put the money towards the S/Hand parts from the wreckers,
In saying that, you learn from your mistakes,
and hope this helps others to NOT do what I did.
Buy Genuine, even in this case S/Hand, as they are not going to waste.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your Right, I didn't event try to get a refund,
Why, they were cheap !
Were I should of originally put the money towards the S/Hand parts from the wreckers,
In saying that, you learn from your mistakes,
and hope this helps other to NOT do what I did.
Buy Genuine, even in this case S/Hand, as they are not going to waste.

Right, now for the other bit that I forgot to tell you.

Wife typing because I am too tired and would probably take 2 hours to type:

I forgot to tell you something and this could be very important because most of the time when you drive this car and the RPM at idle when stopped goes to 1200 RPM or 1400 RPM or whatever RPM except for 850, my son has told me when the traffic lights go green after he puts it back in gear again (clunk) when he takes off in first gear, it won't change to second until it reaches 2500 RPM and after it reaches 2500 RPM he backs off the accelerator, then it goes into 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Now, I have never experienced this when driving his car but my son complained about this before in the last 6 weeks to 2 months of this issue.

Yesterday as you know, I unplugged the IACV valve, yes, left it dangling there, so he can drive the car without issues, without the car picking up RPM whilst stopped at traffic lights or a stop sign, now its been going very good the last few days, but for the very first time, he pulled up in traffic, yes the car was idling at 850 RPM in drive and when he took off it would not shift into second gear (exactly the same as when the IACV was connected) but its not connected now and for the first time we had the issue of first gear won't shift into second gear and so on and so on. Now, the issue can't be the IACV valve because its disconnected, so by this I suspect the issue is on the TPS circuit, either a new crook not compatible after market throttle position switch or a bad connection somewhere along the line. Remember I have hard wired the three wires in the throttle position switch, so there is no bad connection there, it must be somewhere else if its a bad connection issue.

Next week I will hunt to get from the wrecking yards a genuine TPS switch and IACV valve, maybe I will get two of each if they are not too expensive, because this is the first time I now know its not the Idle control valve thats actually giving extra revs in the engine, its something else commanding the IACV valve to open up and let more air in. The IACV valve is a scape goat for this issue and considering when this car plays up most of the time it also has the problem of going in from first and second gear, under 2500 RPM. Remember, it happened late this afternoon and the IACV valve was disconnected, yet for no reason, the issue struck the car again and the car didn't want to go into second gear until you put the foot down on the pedal at 2500 RPM back off, then it goes into 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

This could be a giveaway, it could the the Throttle Position Switch causing all this issue, because I have a feeling that the Throttle Position Switch has something to do with the automatic gearbox.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm confused as I thought you'd fixed it with the parts from the wreckers.
Anyway, yes the computer reads the throttle position from TPS and together with other data like RPM, and I think speed and engine vacuum, the computer decides when to change gear.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Anyway, yes the computer reads the throttle position from TPS and together with other data like RPM, and I think speed and engine vacuum, the computer decides when to change gear.

I have fixed my car [VY L67 Calais] with the parts from the wreckers,and running perfectly

He "VFSV6FORME" is the one having issues with the Statesman,

Our Addy Logo's are similar, :eek:
just to confuse you, :confused: and confuse me sometimes, :confused:
as I am not sure the reply is from me !. o_O

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO,NO I bough ebay stuff (Not genuine) for IACV and the TPS

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have fixed my car [VY L67 Calais] with the parts from the wreckers,and running perfectly

He "VFSV6FORME" is the one having issues with the Stateman,

Our Addy Logo's are similar, :eek:
just to confuse you, :confused: and confuse me sometimes, :confused:
as I am not sure the reply is from me !. o_O
Yes its easy for me to get confused when writing a post this issue is on my sons Statesman 3.8Ltr. remember I have a ZERO retention memory that mean if I read something I forget what I have read and from who it from. I still try. LOL.LOL.