Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman 3.8Ltr 6 cyl with a Dangerous issue

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Did you jiggle the TPS plug when it was revving up? Make any difference?
It's good investment to use genuine sensors like the TPS. It helps avoid annoying issues like this.
No I forgot but the Issue was slightly different and only happened once.
Anyhow I bought from supercheap Dielectric grease and Added that on the TPS pins and the harness also on the IAC, MAF and that other sender on the side of the air cleaner. start the car, all is ok so the car has gone home with my Son. Plenty of other thing to fix on this Stateman. 1/ AIR bag light on, Front seats rock back and forth, Seat Belts. In my entire life on working on a car I never ever seen a car with so many defects and yet my Son bought it as it was his first impulse buy. Yes the dealer got a RWC with all these defects and sold the car to my Son.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ah the impulse buy. Well I hope he learns a lesson. Make sure he does some of the hard work not give it all to you!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Your a great father looking after your sons car, mine wont even give me the time of the day.
Air bag be either to do with the seat plug or cut wire or clock spring.
Seat belts worn or not retracting? If feathering on the sides the good old lighter trick, if not retracting remove it and give it a good soak in a warm bucket of detergent.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah the impulse buy. Well I hope he learns a lesson. Make sure he does some of the hard work not give it all to you!
Hope he does but he knows very little about cars. I'm very disappointing with him as he spend his early days playing a playstation and had ZERO interest in other things.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your a great father looking after your sons car, mine wont even give me the time of the day.
Air bag be either to do with the seat plug or cut wire or clock spring.
Seat belts worn or not retracting? If feathering on the sides the good old lighter trick, if not retracting remove it and give it a good soak in a warm bucket of detergent.
Yeah kids today.
With all this issue with the 1200-1400RPM stuff at idle we have put the cut wires airbag passengers side seat aside. I think this car gets pissed off every time you disconnected the battery.
The front drivers seat belts are feathering on ONE sides only. they retract OK.
I have read if you remove the the seat belts drivers or passengers side they recommend you to disconnect the battery other wise you could have issues. Again I thing this car get the shits when you disconnected the battery all the time as it has been disconnected in the last 3 months about 30 times. Now I will have to disconnect the Battery to fix the passengers site wiring also fix the both front seats rocking back and forth. I have noticed that this car if you dont disconnect the battery for one week the car has no or less issue with this idling thingy. At the moment its OK but considering its coming into summer when you start it in the morning for the first time it take longer to go from 1100-1000 to 850 RPM then it should. This has only happened after the last Battery Disconnect.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah kids today.
With all this issue with the 1200-1400RPM stuff at idle we have put the cut wires airbag passengers side seat aside. I thing this car gets pissed off every time you disconnected the battery.
The front drivers seat belts are feathering on ONE sides only. they retract OK.
I have read if you remove the the seat belts drivers or passengers side they recommend you to disconnect the battery other wise you could have issues. Again I thing this car get the shits when you disconnected the battery all the time as it has been disconnected in the last 3 months about 30 times. Now I will have to disconnect the Battery to fix the passengers site wiring also fix the both front seats rocking back and forth. I have noticed that this car if you dont disconnect the battery for one week the car has no or less issue with this idling thingy. At the moment its OK but considering its coming into summer when you start it in the morning for the first time it take longer to go from 1100-1000 to 850 RPM then it should. This has only happened after the last Battery Disconnect.
Every time you remove the battery it resets the ECU and there for it has to set everything again usually after a drive to recalibrate fuel air ratio, most cars go through that stage, if the engine is cold the revs will be a little higher for a time then back off.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Every time you remove the battery it resets the ECU and there for it has to set everything again usually after a drive to recalibrate fuel air ratio, most cars go through that stage, if the engine is cold the revs will be a little higher for a time then back off.
This seems to be the Issue partly but what I can't work out if you turn the car off and back on again everything goes back to normal. Another thing as I was speaking to my son over the Phone on a private road for testing the issue with the highers revs up to 1300 RPM in neutral came back as soon as he selected 1st 2nd and 3rd on the gear selector. does the car needs to lean also on those separate gears too?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This seems to be the Issue partly but what I can't work out if you turn the car off and back on again everything goes back to normal. Another thing as I was speaking to my son over the Phone on a private road for testing the issue with the highers revs up to 1300 RPM in neutral came back as soon as he selected 1st 2nd and 3rd on the gear selector. does the car needs to lean also on those separate gears too?
Should bounce up to around 1200 then go down to normal while changing gear shifter, same as power steering at idle on full lock the revs should pick up.

After turning it off it then sets the best performance upon restart.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well you guessed it the car done the same yesterday as my Son drove the car back to our house and it was idling up to 1200 RPM. Once Again I opened the Bonnet shook most of the connectors and left the TPS last and once again the TPS made the Revs up and down. Now it went down twice (around 900 ) and finished up to at 1300 RPM where I could not get it to go to idle at around 850 RPM.
After this pulling my hair out I decided to remove the TPS and Solder three 75 MM long different colours wires on it and at the same time I cut the TPS Connector off and I exposed the three around 60MM of colored wires by remover the GM tape so what I did I re fitted the TPS and made sure I soldered and heat shirked the correct wires.
Now this took me 40 minutes to do and re fit the TPS with wires hanging out so after re connecting the Battery I started the car and It did what it should do. Idle at 900 then around 850 RPM. Took the car for drive and done anything to piss the Engine off but it was ok.
The Next day (today) I start the Car and it idled around 1100 RPM than after 30 seconds went to 1000 RPM than 980 RPM and not Long after this It went to 900 RPM then I drove the car and once again I did everything that can piss the car off but it behave ok.
This will be the last time I will work on this car for this issue. If the Solder job fixes it YEAH!! but if it does not I will say to my SON GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!.
By the way, When I disconnect the Battery and reconnect the battery what I do is start the car, go from Park to Reverse than N and 1,2,3 then back to D turn the Head lights on and off, move the Power steering left and right a little, forget the Air cond as it does not work and that it for learning the the car.

Lets see what happens

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Car behaved it self yesterday afternoon + this morning (Wednesday) It tried just about everything to piss the car off but it behaved. I hope this is the Issue that a bad plug connection on the TPS was causing the issue. I will drive it this afternoon then I will get the car a rest for two full days because before the car was good before after I played with everything but after two resting days the disease came back.