Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wh stato 5lt ????

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
Hi every body
I've been seeing a lot of wh statesmans and caprices Rolling shells going cheap minus motor and box in pretty decent condition on market place gum tree ect and I have the complete running gear from a VT 5lt auto Berlina sedan that had climate control and 3 window cluster
I have Cross member exhaust tail shaft ect essentially all the things to bolt it into a wh
Is it possible to get the vt 5lt engine loom and ecu to talk to the wh body loom and BCM I have done some searching on here and other places and haven't found anything as of yet

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I thought the WH was fitted with the 5.7, rather than the 5.0.....

You might want to check into that

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
^. As above. Forget about it as you’ll never get it registered as the iron lion is older than the LS that came in the car originally.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Won't be legal or registerable with anything older than what it came with unfortunately.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
I never said I had any intention to register it
However S2 was released 1/6/99 so there is likely some VT S1 5lts built after that and the wh was released in June of 99 and there would be pre release production so in theory it should be possible to register a 99 wh stato with a 5lt
Also if they do it by calendar year for simplicity any 99 or possibly 2000 wh stato could be registered with a VT 5lt or vs s3 5lt with a VM engine number prefix seeing that vs s3 utes where produced untill December 2000
It would be no different to dropping a vs eco jet into a vy it's still an eco jet with a vh engine number prefix

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm pretty sure the VIN on the WH is different to the VT, it's designated as a WH in the vin and the WH was never available with that engine.

it's not just to do with the years, but it must be an engine that was available in that specific model of car (not that general era) at the time of release.

You are right you can put a VS eco in a VY because that prefix engine was available in that car, same as how the 304 in my VR is from a VN with the VU prefix.

The 5L engine prefix was never available with that VIN combination in your car so it won't work. In regards to the VIN of the car it's VIN'd as a WH not a VT.

The rego authorites have systems that marry up engine numbers to VIN's when you apply to have the engine number changed. If that VIN wasn't available with that prefix of engine it will be no bueno. Only the LS1 prefix will work.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You could try with 3 cats fitted each side.

If you can get it across on emissions then it’s all good. That emissions thing is a monster though.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You could try with 3 cats fitted each side.

If you can get it across on emissions then it’s all good. That emissions thing is a monster though.
Yeah, being in SA the engineering to get it passed as being as efficient or more than the stock LS would cost more than buying an LS car to start with even in todays market.

In SA a modification for an engine that wasn't available in that car will require a full engineer certification rather than an EPA/emissions report even if the new engine makes less power than the old one .....costly excersize.

In regards to the OP's original question no the old 64kb PCM from the VS won't talk to the WH BCM or loom etc it would probably have to be some sort of custom job, maybe easier trying to adapt the VS III stato BCM to a WH as they have similar levels of trim etc.

Last edited: