Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Stato with electronic issues

SLY-340

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F HSV R8
Hi guys I just bought a 2000 WH Stato LS1 off these lovely old couple which drives well . Apart from extractors and a cd player it seems standard. My son and I have noticed it already having a reverse light issue which most probably is the inhibitor switch. However, I drove it on Sunday and during the drive a symbol in the shape of a light illuminated on the dash in red. Looking in the owners book it said that it is something to do with the brake lights. I pulled over to check them and realised all of a sudden I've got no brake lights. So after checking all the fuses known and brake lights still don't work I replaced the brake light switches behind the pedal but still no lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to put it back on the market or wreck it, especially being an LS1.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Are you sure you replaced the right switch, there are two, one for the brake lights and one for cruise control. If I remember correctly the brake switch is the lower one on the brake pedal.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
how about replacing the globes
and then do a globe relearn

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi guys I just bought a 2000 WH Stato LS1 off these lovely old couple which drives well . Apart from extractors and a cd player it seems standard. My son and I have noticed it already having a reverse light issue which most probably is the inhibitor switch. However, I drove it on Sunday and during the drive a symbol in the shape of a light illuminated on the dash in red. Looking in the owners book it said that it is something to do with the brake lights. I pulled over to check them and realised all of a sudden I've got no brake lights. So after checking all the fuses known and brake lights still don't work I replaced the brake light switches behind the pedal but still no lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to put it back on the market or wreck it, especially being an LS1.
Does it have the correct globes?

I have a vt, my reverse lights weren't working last year. Turned out to be the wire not connect properly to the switch. Back probe with a jewellers smallest screw driver & pushed the pins back into the socket. Then they worked (reverse lights).

SLY-340

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F HSV R8
We changed both switches which we got from a wreck. I'll get new ones just in case. If you look in the pic below the speedometer you'll see the symbol lit up.

Attachments

• Resized_20230116_162651.jpeg
    Resized_20230116_162651.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 107

SLY-340

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F HSV R8
how about replacing the globes
and then do a globe relearn
How do I do a relearn? I found 1 Parker blown which I replaced with a dual filament globe that is suitable yet parkers all work but still no brake lights. Keep in mind the brake lights were working before.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
How do I do a relearn? I found 1 Parker blown which I replaced with a dual filament globe that is suitable yet parkers all work but still no brake lights. Keep in mind the brake lights were working before.
That dual filament globe isn't upsetting the system, is it? Was the reverse lights working before the parker was swapped for the dual filament globe?

Whats the brake fluid like? I think if l remember correctly (maybe not) that light on the dash is for low brake fluid?

SLY-340

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F HSV R8
I'll replace all the globes just in case. But with regards to the symbol on the dash in the owners manual it shows that it has something to do with brake light globes.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If it comes on when you hit the brakes it's a brake light issue, if it comes onwhen you have the lights on it's a parking light issue.

Reactions: Lex

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
thanks to john w for this
Just for the record, here is the rear light relearn procedure 'cut and paste' directly from the genuine Holden service manual for a series 1 VT High Series BCM....

"If the battery is disconnected during any service operation, a bulb relearn procedure has to be carried out, refer to the following procedure. Additionally, the ABS or ABS/ETC systems must be functional for the rear lamp failure to operate.

REAR LAMP FAILURE WARNING SYSTEM BULB RELEARN PROCEDURE
This procedure must be carried out if the battery has been disconnected.
Ensure battery is fully charged and functional before carrying out the following procedure:
1. Ensure all rear light bulbs are working. Replace/repair any faulty bulbs/wiring.
2. Turn ignition OFF, parking lamps OFF and stop lamps OFF.
3. Remove and reinstall fuse F31 from engine compartment relay housing, to reset BCM.
4. Start engine and allow to idle.
5. Switch parking lamps ON.
6. Wait 5 seconds.
7. Press brake pedal and hold.
8. Wait 5 seconds.
9. Switch parking lamps OFF.
Wait 5 seconds.
10. Bulb relearn is now complete, turn engine OFF and release brake pedal."