Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What 5 gauges and where?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I used to race at Mallala. Couple of minor falls but nothing that hurt. I was doing about 160 - 170 down the back and overtook a bloke on the bend with only inches between us, and no track left on my inside.. Scared the **** out of me and he beat me in the end because I was shaking by the time I got to the northern hairpin. Had I backed off or something else go wrong we both would have been stretchered out of there..... I no longer have the balls to do that any more, shame because having a decent dual is the best part about racing. We got a writeup in tbe Motorave Mag, which was funny.
I was never a fan of real door to door, supersprints were my bag, even then it was still risky with idiots with more money than skill blowing by you on the straights, only to hold you up on the bendy bits, if there was any real traffic I would let them blow by me till I got clean air and nice gap out front and then try to get a fast one or two in

As for bikes, I've always owned one, but never ever raced one on the track or strip, my motorcycle riding skills were/are more a plodding style, and I've slowed down even more since I turned 50, hence why my latest steed is a Harley

In saying that, nearly every broken bone I ever got was from a motorcycle, both dirt and road......I did say I wasn't very good didn't I....

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm the opposite I don't ride on the road, only the track or the dirt lol. Too many idiots in cars round here. That said I'm getting too old to break things

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wonder if can get one with an rpm dependant light. I've reconned a couple motors for mates that hit a light and I've never seen the use. Most are set so damn low to put it into perspective a Hyundai is set to 7 and it's usually a too late light.

A motor that doesn't show a light at hot idle and has the same pressure at 7000 rpm isn't going to be a good thing.

Honestly I'm not that great at looking at gauges in the heat of the moment. I've usually just picked up on pressure drop when hot and cruising in traffic.

Car it's going in doesn't even have a tacho yet. But I decided seeing as I can fit gauges without pillar pods and untidy top dash mounts I may as well run some.

If you search through this youtubers car build, over the last 3 or 4 months, he actually set a light up in his dash for RPM's...If you have problems finding it, I'll search through it and see what crops up and let you know....He has 2 lights set up...One where he wants the RPM during the burnouts and another for max revs....

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If you search through this youtubers car build, over the last 3 or 4 months, he actually set a light up in his dash for RPM's...If you have problems finding it, I'll search through it and see what crops up and let you know....He has 2 lights set up...One where he wants the RPM during the burnouts and another for max revs....
I used a https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-i/

in both my Skyline and MX5 when I was playing "speed racer"

Great bit of kit, especially for a novice, I picked up time everywhere using it

If there were no lights displayed I was was losing time

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I used a https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-i/

in both my Skyline and MX5 when I was playing "speed racer"

Great bit of kit, especially for a novice, I picked up time everywhere using it

If there were no lights displayed I was was losing time

The eliptech unit is the bomb. Second to none in look and programmability for only a couple hundred bucks

H

harrop.senator

Oh I've had shift lights in the drift car, they're definitely a help but I've not done much drag racing and always used my butt and ears for rpm.

I meant an rpm dependant oil pressure light so you can run it in series and adjust the pressure per rpm that the light goes off on.

H

harrop.senator

To put it into perspective I'd owned and daily ridden a second gen r6 for 3-4 months and 10,000kms before I realised it had shift lights built into the cluster LOL.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I've had oil temp and pressure gauges for a short while now and the wealth of knowledge you can deduct from these through monitoring various circumstances is priceless.
I'm probably going water temp for 3rd gauge personally, cant say the factory one has ever been particularly informant. It'll barley registers water temp while oil is 100°c. Had a bit of experience with pyro gauges for turbos too, had an experience or two over the years where I've had to back off due to turbo temps. Wouldn't have known if I didn't have that gauge

IMG_10072021_010200_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi all, what would be usefull is an audible oil pressure low warning as especially on a bright summer day its difficult to see the low brightness oil light on the dash.
Anyone have any ideas on this ?
Maybe a beeper connected to the
oil pressure switch.
( I have a 5Ltr VR ).

Reactions: Lex

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I think at that rate you'd be better off wiring it to a kill switch?
Correct me if I'm wrong but an oil pressure gauge just shows you how variably good your oil pressure is.
Engine knock tells you when your oil pressure is bad quicker than a gauge can.