Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are the best oils???

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
To a small extent. Really it's just because the systems on modern engines hold more oil. More oil, more cleaning agents, more kms.

Sorry Pollushon I don't agree with that.

How much oil does the newest V6 engine in the VF commodore hold?

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
The reason for larger service intervals is that it's a better selling point for fleet customers. The engines do have better tech and some more detergent.
An ecotec or even a 202 could run 15k intervals without too much drama, but it is a long time, especially as engines get on in mileage.

bush_basha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
The reason for longer service intervals on the Ve (V8 anyways) is because the sump is bigger on them. They hold around 8L of oil.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sorry Pollushon I don't agree with that.

How much oil does the newest V6 engine in the VF commodore hold?

LF and LY SIDI still hold 6.5L AFAIK. That's 2 more than an Eco, in fact that's nearly an extra half sump, so from 10k to 15k makes perfect sense.

I believe there's a similar difference from v8's of old to new also.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I know what you mean mate ^^^

Guess my next question would be can I just add these into the existing oils? There is no cross contamination or anything to worry about right?

My understanding is (based on what a lot of mechanics have told me but thats not gospel either) nothing shouold be added to the oil. If it's a healthy engine then you're adding the best thing already.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
How does the price of the Joe Gibbs oil stack up compared to other more common oils?
I know in the racing oil area, its more expensive than others.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Its good price, my engine has been designed with loose bearing clearance and recommends to run HR1 witch is $13 a litre and it compares to royal purple in quality but cheaper, the thing joe Gibbs oil has over others is other oils generally keep emission laws in mind and try to keep to that, but Joe Gibbs oils say f#ck the emission and make the best oil for the engine

If u have a LS engine they have a oil designed for the LS engines its ls30 I think

And in my oppion all the servo brands witch now are all brought out by supermarket chains are all out to save a dollar and don't give 2 squats about your engine

Joe Gibbs or Lucas, royal purple oils all the way, and I'm not a yank I'm Aussie through and through but that's just my oppion on oils

Don't get cought up in the word synthetic either, there is some good clips on you tube from Joe Gibbs oil company and Joe Gibbs web sit that explane things a lot better then I can

Silver6

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SV6
Never even heard of that oil.

Got another one for you all. Best Oil and Air filters?

I just want to change mine next service regardless of wether they are good or not. For all I know they could have been there since day 1. Now with 100000 kms on the clock it wouldn't hurt.

Everyone always says K7N because of the warrantee. I just want great quality products to prolong the life of my car.