Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What brake pads came out stock on VX Berlinas?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
i need new front brake pads and my husband is being a bit precious about it and insisting they be the same as what they rolled off the line with 18 years ago. Anyone know what they were? Or any recommendations for what to get?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Probably Holden branded pads were in it originally.
I always use Bendix Premium Ultra, never had a problem with them.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Go to Holden and buy pads there but expect to pay through the nose for em.

18 years? You sure those are original? What do the rotors look like?

Entry level pads from a reputable brand will do the trick, just stay away from the cheap **** you find at places like Supercheap. On the daily I use the C plusplus ceramic brake pads from BNT which are reasonably prices and work as well if not better than the OEM pads with little dust. Personally, I'd stay away from Bendix Ultimates unless you like to test your brakes on a regular basis.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A VX would have had Bendix or PBR pads on it originally I expect. Bendix general CT would be the equivalent. If you tow much you could go with heavy duty.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
18 years? You sure those are original? What do the rotors look like?

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply the ones currently on it are still the original set, obviously they’re not, no, just looking for what they would have been 18 years ago.

Thanks for your help

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply the ones currently on it are still the original set, obviously they’re not, no, just looking for what they would have been 18 years ago.

Thanks for your help
Lol, only the person who fitted them would know that Question!! 18 years on one set of brakes how far has the car been driven, AC Delco probably.
Stay away from Bendix they are now a Chinese owned and are not like they use to be, go original or Protex they still have good meat, you will need to get new rotors too I bet if they never been done.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Stay away from Bendix .............
Absolutely nothing wrong with Bendix, they have been stopping me perfectly fine for as long as I can remember with minimum dust. I've tried other pads over the years with disappointing result and replaced them long before the were worn out, back to Bendix. The only Bendix pads I was unhappy with were the heavy duty pads but the Premium Ultra stop my heavy Caprice on a dime.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The only Bendix pads I was unhappy with were the heavy duty pads but the Premium Ultra stop my heavy Caprice on a dime.
Much the same here. Bendix or Remsa are the 2 brands I use. Are you talking about the Ultra Premium from Supercheap? I've got them fitted at the moment. Good value when half price ;)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have used B-GCT for years as does our local garage and many others and they are fine. Thing with Bendix is you don't have to bed in like every other brand I have used. GCT's are not the best pads IMO but they are fairly decent for the average driver. The other Bendix range are harsher on rotors, especially Ultimate.
As for Protex HD I have used them and rate them a 3/10. They don't do well fully loaded going down hill on 4WD so I would never use them again. I had mass fade, coming up to a corner and swore never again.
I found on my last bus that Bendix 4WD pads came out on tops. I now use QFM HPX and they are pretty decent on the ute. Although I did find they worked better on my cheaper rotors than the slotted hardened rotors I have now.