Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What causes the V6 to have little power?

cracker

Reaction score
Take a stock VT S pack V's crazy. Crazy whips. VT driver doesn't believe it. Swap cars. Same thing, the VN win's. Go figure.

skateboard vs a shopping cart who wins?

who cares its a terrible race

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
I almost owned a S1 VN, it had bigger injectors, cam work, blah blah etc, sounded f'n awesome. It had the original diff ratios unlike the later ones which they changed. It was fast, but my old AU falcon still beat it. Unfortunately the car was stolen literally 4 days before I was to take ownership :( So my opinion is based on experience, woot!

cracker

Reaction score
A lot of people like to bag down people here as if it was out of a newspaper but not everybody speaks out of their arse. Either that, or the wog VL drivers didn't know how to drive their fully sick VL's.

"wog vl drivers" "full sick vl's" ... gezus

Attachments

• 1298289601707.jpg
    1298289601707.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 113

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I really wonder how many young twirps commenting in this thread were around when the VN's were first introduced. Let alone know anything about cars. I have seen a lot of posts on this site and it's about 99% query and about 0.01% knowledge. People here are wanna-be know alls. I know my cars and motors. Most of you don't know ****.

i was 19 when vn commodores came out and drove my uncles brand new one back then ,i think you will find quite a few older blokes in this thread .

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
ffs, VN S1 had a slightly different cam and a slightly different manifold to later versions, it had a tiny TINY!!!!! bit more power and a slight difference in the torque range then the 1.5s and the S2, same as the early S1 VN SS had more go then later on since Holden didn't quite know what they were doing to begin with since the Buick V6 was a last minute decision since they were originally going to put RB30s in the VN's till the Yen to AUD price went to ****.

The first V6s were more like the american FWD buicks at the time and they modded them slightly to suit there needs better once they had them selling and worked out the issues they were having to make them more reliable so they weren't fixing **** under warranty all the time.

The first 304s in the VN SS were guinea pigs and they changed the tune mapping slightly for the 1.5s and S2s, lowered the power slightly but made them more reliable.

This difference was only within the first 20 to 30,000 VNs from memory so around August to October/November 1988.

And yes i owned 1 in the first 10,000 build range so shut up since i do know about them.

And in no way would a stock VN V6 EVER!!!! Beat a Stock VL Turbo.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
My friend had a stock vn with 500,000 on the clock and it still whipped VX's and VL turbos etc.
No fat drivers here.

I might look into fuel delivery. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Oh god, there was a guy on the wrx forums claiming the exact thing but also was beating new wrx's and sti's...is that you?

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
so i don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but the vey first vn's were rockets. no bullshit. look it up. they used to beat some older v8's in the day. this may have something to do with the fact that the 3800 was actually a shortened 5.2l v8. no **** look it up. they may not have been as fast as some muppets are claiming, but they were in fact very quick for the time

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
Why do some people think standard vl turbos are quick?I seen a standard vl turbo down the drags once and it was only doing mid 15,s(around what manual vn/vr,s do down the 1/4).Dont think i am sticking up for the v6 owners either, i have a v6 and f#$king hate it.There is some specs on unique cars web page that states about the same.VL Commodore SpecificationsVN Commodore Specifications

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
so i don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but the vey first vn's were rockets. no bullshit. look it up. they used to beat some older v8's in the day. this may have something to do with the fact that the 3800 was actually a shortened 5.2l v8. no **** look it up. they may not have been as fast as some muppets are claiming, but they were in fact very quick for the time

What? How could it be a shortened V8? Engine designs are completely different.