Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What causes this? paint crazing??

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Cheers for the replies guys. thing is where the paint has faded there is no crazing . its only on the hatch and the little bit near it on roof i just found it weird that its like that

With the poor quality of paint used by the factory, Pub, a complete respray is probably the only solution, particularly if your car has a metallic paint, which it appears to. I don't think the solid colours used on VN's and VP's needed the clear and they seem to hold up much better.

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
It could come down to poor prep work/ not enough clear on the affected area, too much rubbed off from as said polishing or washing. Unfortunately for you there is no way of really stopping it now. people say keeping it out of the elements but you can only prolong something for so long. the paint will still react with normal air getting underneath the clear. As you mentioned you can get away with only doing som much of the car instead of the work you know has already been done. only issue you run into here is that if the car is still in old old style of paint acrylic/dulon then your car will need to be put in a new coat of primer so that 2pack can stick properly to this.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
for a full respray? yeah good price. but they gotta be cutting corners somewhere.

I think it says STARTS at $1500, but they quoted me 2-2.5k for a respray on mine with two tone and everything. Check their work it looks the goods!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You might get away with an external respray only, leaving inside bonnet, doors, jambs and tailgate as they are. Also, if your car is straight, and has no bodywork required, that will help to keep costs down, and perhaps even stripping it yourself and masking the glass etc, could also aid to reduce the price.

flawnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hey guys, im a spray painter, that will need to be paint stripped, or there will be no guarantee of it not happening again. 1,500 is pretty cheap, especially if paint stripping is involed.
Just make sure there work is good and they guarantee thier work.

The paint defect in the picture can be a number of things, but i usually see this on older cars. the most probable cause is to many paint applications, normally found on bonnets and roofs of cars. Crazing can also be caused by incompatible paint products or incorrect re coating times. Constant use of car washes can also cause crazing. or even just the breakdown of the paint due to the elements

1TUFVS

High Ambitions, Low Funds
Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Acclaim
Hey guys, im a spray painter, that will need to be paint stripped, or there will be no guarantee of it not happening again. 1,500 is pretty cheap, especially if paint stripping is involed.
Just make sure there work is good and they guarantee thier work.

The paint defect in the picture can be a number of things, but i usually see this on older cars. the most probable cause is to many paint applications, normally found on bonnets and roofs of cars. Crazing can also be caused by incompatible paint products or incorrect re coating times. Constant use of car washes can also cause crazing. or even just the breakdown of the paint due to the elements

Any ideas of postponing the crazing for as long as possible?

flawnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Any ideas of postponing the crazing for as long as possible?

if it's started its probably already too late. but if other parts are looking they they might me next maybe a bit of wax might help.