Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You wait. That style carpet will come back into fashion. You mark my words.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
You wait. That style carpet will come back into fashion. You mark my words.
40b41d46a779193ebf7bf37aaea5a23c.gif

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The owner of the Corolla I maintain visited today, complaining that the passenger side cup holder had fallen apart.
He had visited a wrecker to try and get a replacement but weren't available.

One of the mounting pins had sheared off and the cup support piece fell on the floor.

I measured the remaining pin at 3mm dia. and 3mm long.
Found a piece of 5356 TIG filler rod that was 3.2mm dia. so chucked it up in the lathe and turned it to 3mm.

Had to faff around clamping the cup holder support in the mill vice to make it semi ridged so I could sink a hole through the plastic.
Needed to use a small center drill and a magnifying glass to center the cutter on the sheared off mounting pin.
Spotted the hole with the center drill, used a 2.5mm drill to get started, then used a 3mm 2 flute endmill to make a flat-bottomed hole to give the replacement alloy pin more support.

Superglued the pin in place then cut it off to the correct length with a fine-toothed hacksaw and cleaned it up with a file.

It worked out well!

2024-06-25 13.35.36.jpg

2024-06-25 13.35.48.jpg

2024-06-25 13.35.58.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The owner of the Corolla I maintain visited today, complaining that the passenger side cup holder had fallen apart.
He had visited a wrecker to try and get a replacement but weren't available.

One of the mounting pins had sheared off and the cup support piece fell on the floor.

I measured the remaining pin at 3mm dia. and 3mm long.
Found a piece of 5356 TIG filler rod that was 3.2mm dia. so chucked it up in the lathe and turned it to 3mm.

Had to faff around clamping the cup holder support in the mill vice to make it semi ridged so I could sink a hole through the plastic.
Needed to use a small center drill and a magnifying glass to center the cutter on the sheared off mounting pin.
Spotted the hole with the center drill, used a 2.5mm drill to get started, then used a 3mm 2 flute endmill to make a flat-bottomed hole to give the replacement alloy pin more support.

Superglued the pin in place then cut it off to the correct length with a fine-toothed hacksaw and cleaned it up with a file.

It worked out well!

View attachment 269598

View attachment 269599

View attachment 269601
That's insane. I would have heated up the rod and plowed it in place through the plastic. ;)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I got a couple of those black metal cabinets from Hammerbarn. You can’t do enough with them. You should have greater modular use of them. Extra shelves. More holes for heights.

So I found some clips on eBay and they work a treat.

IMG_7049.jpeg

$20 or something.

IMG_7050.jpeg

So now I can add more shelves and organise better.

IMG_7044.jpeg

I had some left over MDF and pine from the renos. Knocked up some shelves. Also love that screw gun there. They are fantastic. Drives them home without pilot holes so easy and doesn’t over do it at the same time. Doesn’t strip
Out the screw. Got the little magnet thing on the bit as well. They work fantastic.
IMG_7046.jpeg
IMG_7048.jpeg

Fits nice in there and is strong as.

IMG_7051.jpeg

So now my cleaning and detailing cabinet is better organised.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also doing this was a piece of piss now I have library-a-tized all my drills and fixings. Bam bam. Done.
IMG_7045.jpeg

Reactions: Lex