Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Many mechanics think they know better than the designers and manufacturers cause they have a mindset that you can’t learn things from books :rolleyes:

Misuse of tools and a lack of following defined service methods is the problem.

I suspect that it’s a culture of ‘what you can get away with‘ most of the time (and to save time). There are practical shortcuts that work most of the time, but the manufacture’s service manuals specify work methods that work every time.

It’s a bit like running through red lights - you’ll probably get away with it most of the time, but when you don’t it causes a lot of problems!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I suspect that it’s a culture of ‘what you can get away with‘ most of the time (and to save time). There are practical shortcuts that work most of the time, but the manufacture’s service manuals specify work methods that work every time.

It’s a bit like running through red lights - you’ll probably get away with it most of the time, but when you don’t it causes a lot of problems!

Oil change on a V6 alloytec every 15,000K Shall we say anymore?

I have also struck where a workshop manual say you can't do a particular adjustment for an alignment, yet you can by undoing a bolt or 2 and getting some movement, therefore making an adjustment the manual says isn't possible

Yes the majority of the time, methods specified in manuals are the way to go, but then you have areas like I have put up that aren't really appropriate.....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think conical seat plugs (especially in alloy heads) need to the torqued properly. Just lying over an engine and reaching from a different position changes my perception of how much force I’m applying. So, it really just easier to do the final nip-up with a torque wrench and know it’s right.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think conical seat plugs (especially in alloy heads) need to the torqued properly. Just lying over an engine and reaching from a different position changes my perception of how much force I’m applying. So, it really just easier to do the final nip-up with a torque wrench and know it’s right.

I'm not doubting the nip up with the torque wrench isn't good insurance, but if it has already been cross threaded, it will still mask that it has been done.....As you are aware, the torque wrench is used to make sure it is at a specified setting and we all know, something cross threaded is already tight, so the torque wrench isn't going to show it is right.....It'll only mask it....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not doubting the nip up with the torque wrench isn't good insurance, but if it has already been cross threaded, it will still mask that it has been done.....As you are aware, the torque wrench is used to make sure it is at a specified setting and we all know, something cross threaded is already tight, so the torque wrench isn't going to show it is right.....It'll only mask it....

I understand. But cross threading should be very apparent from the onset. Hopefully, one should have enough sense to stop if the thread is binding and rethink it. I definitely think plugs should just be inserted ‘by hand’ by just using a socket and an extension bar (and no driver as such). Once it is seated, then torque it up with a driver - or preferably a torque wrench. Mind you, I’ve heard of many instances of home mechanics stripping spark plug thread removing them without stopping and thinking why it’s not coming out smoothly.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I understand. But cross threading should be very apparent from the onset. Hopefully, one should have enough sense to stop if the thread is binding and rethink it. I definitely think plugs should just be inserted ‘by hand’ by just using a socket and an extension bar (and no driver as such). Once it is seated, then torque it up with a driver - or preferably a torque wrench. Mind you, I’ve heard of many instances of home mechanics stripping spark plug thread removing them without stopping and thinking why it’s not coming out smoothly.

I agree how any nut/bolt/plug should be done.....However in the context of what @losh1971 has had happen, it is apparent the person that did those plugs either couldn't be stuffed stopping when the binding started to occur, or is that stupid didn't know it was occurring. So even if a torque wrench was used, it still wouldn't have prevented the problem.

Unfortunately this is another instance where common sense failed and someone else happens to be paying the price for another persons stupidity

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah the main issue was that the bloke who fitted the plugs felt like he needed to crank them to 50nm instead of 20nm, some of the threads were stretched. When I was cracking each plug, I had to pull so hard that my hand wacked the bolts and the coils really hard four times when they let go. It wasn't pleasant on the back of my hands.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have learnt a couple of things for the future though, main one being the undo, redo, undo. I never knew this and never had an issue without doing it but it sounds like a good method for the future.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
I have a crane truck or trailer coming Saturday and they need to access the shed and a fair amount of the space in front of the shed to get the hoist in. As it is I can't even start the ute to move it. If I push it out it will be in the way still. Then I have to get it back in the shed up the slope so it can be worked on. Kinda wishing I booked it in now. A simple job that I have done plenty of times has turned bad.
I am sure the mobile mech will sort out for you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All sorted and up and running. $100 in labour, which I was happy about. Bloke said the plugs were all way too tight, well over 20nm, which would likely be why the nutsert undone.

I have talked to him about fitting my diff when I get it back and he has said yep with a hoist no problem. Got talking to him about diff builds and he too said yep there is no longer anyone in the north of the state capable.

He also mentioned a mech I used who tried to persuade me to do some dodgy work to my old 4L60e, which I declined. He said yep the amount of problems this bloke has caused is bad. Thankfully it wasn't the same place who did my trunnions. None, the less I won't be going back, to my last garage even if they are next door to work.

I am sure the mobile mech will sort out for you