Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
After 12 months I am hoping tonight I can finally put an end to coolant leaks by replacing my bypass hose and clamps for the second or third time, can't remember which.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Noticed over the past few weeks that coolant was disappearing from the SS every few days.
Would top it up maybe 250ml each time, but found it was getting progressively worse (more coolant each time)

Checked the water pump, that was all good. Checked the heater hoses, small drip from the heater tap, but fixed that by re-adjusting the clamp. No coolant in the engine oil, or in the trans. No coolant smell from the exhaust.

Finally found the leak after checking and cleaning all the parts i could get to. Could see the green drops hanging off a hose under the engine. Followed it back up the front of the engine. Could see it was wet on the front of the head, from there i could see it was coming from the second bolt back on the inlet manifold.

Stripped the fan and stuff off and cleaned up the area, put the fan back on and warmed the car and found it was seeping out through the actual inlet manifold, so figured there was either a hair line crack, or the bolt hole isnt fully sealed.

Pulled everything off and swapped over the inlet manifold with the spare one i had and put it all back together. Was a good chance to check the cam and was pleasing to see it only had a small bit of tarnish on the lobes, but the rest was smooth as.

With everything off, i could see it was the gasket that had gone, very nasty to look at with the inlet off, guess that is what happens after 220,000kms!

Everything back together and there is no leaks what-so-ever. no oil or coolant and the engine runs a little smoother now which is nice. Suspect it could just be a mind over matter situation, but maybe there was a bit of a vacuum leak as well.

Sounds the same like mine were. Didn't seem bad till the manifold was off....

The only sign was a slight weepage around the 2nd bolt on the waterport in the head. I thought it was the radiator which had a hairline crack around the top hose.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Where did you buy the Corvette servo, boost valve from? Was it expensive? Also would the above mod benefit a V6?
EBay and I know the servo makes the trans shift better, but haven't done the boost valve b4.
Got the engine and trans back in, just swapping out some interior now and hope to have it on the road in a few weeks.
IMAG1537-1638x1229.jpg

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
nice bruz, id get white door handles off a stato to for that

front bar looks sik

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Refitted PCV, deleted fan for now, and got it running for the first time with new manifold.
Still needs more work to get right.
Stoked it ran today though.

bevzan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Ute finally home, run in and tune done, not sure on the figures yet.
Fitted new high torque starter motoor and bigger extractors, off to exhaust shop tuesday to get back half, undecided on twin 2.5inch or big arse single

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Refitted PCV, deleted fan for now, and got it running for the first time with new manifold.
Still needs more work to get right.
Stoked it ran today though.

Need to delete that old mechanical fan for good and fit a electric one instead ;)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Need to delete that old mechanical fan for good and fit a electric one instead ;)
Yeah, when I replace the radiator AGAIN I will swap to electric. I don't want to make electric fit and then have to change it all when rad changes.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats wrong with the one you have?