Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I took the ute into the auto sparky yesterday to get the gas out of the aircon (if there was any) taken out. It must have been a quick job because he didn't charge me.

The aircon hasn't worked in the 10 or so years ago I have owned it. I took it in once and was told it wan't worth fixing. The windows work fine.

I took the compressor out today. I'm so glad I don't or didn't do this for a living. I most probably did it different than a workshop would do it. I doubt they had to cut one of the bolts to get it out.

The angle grinder I have is about 40 years old. I tried to get the old cutting blade off with no success so it was off to Bunnings buy a new one. Cheap was the first consideration. I bought a xu1 for $32 dollars, it comes with a 12 month warranty for home use only. Even though it was el cheapo it was far superior to the old one. Still I suppose I was better at most things then anyway. That is apart from stud duties and cryptic crosswords.

I took the compressor out because because it will be easier to get at the right engine mount. If I wasn't replacing it it could have stayed there.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Fronts done now as well!

IMG_0194.jpeg

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Well we might have potentially narrowed down the issue.
It appears that I could have an Exhaust Manifold leak or potentially a cracked Header (Its been 12 years, probably 280k kms of heat cycles and its stainless)
Symptoms seem to line up with that, only under heavier load, worse when cold etc.

So I guess over the break it might mean pulling the drivers side header off, giving it a check over for cracks, maybe change the Gasket
And then suss out about replacement headers if it is the case.....
Scoping out brands. Not really keen on "Pacemaker" tax, wonder if Genie, Hurricane, Wildcat or another brand would be better.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
A week or so ago I took the air con compressor off so I could get at the right hand engine mount.

Made no difference to being able to get at the engine mount. So today I had to remove the power steer pump so I could remove the compressor bracket. I then had to cut the air con bracket down to pack the power steer pump out.

So everything is back how it should be. Must admit those at Holden had a weird sense of humour when they ran the power steer line up through the air compressor bracket.

Tomorrow I should be able to replace the right hand engine mount.

The only help I had was the dog. Until I moved her she kept the mat from flying away and when I cut myself she was able to administer first aid.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I could never figure out why they did that either. I'm modifying mine with a custom HP PS line straight off the back of the pump with AN fittings. Should be much neater/tidier.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I changed the right hand engine mount today. What a **** of a job. Glad I did because the engine mount was rooted. Took it for a run, certainly is a lot better though there is still some mild clunking from the rear. That's the next job.