Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do capacitors do?

ad45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon S2
it all sounds like bullshit to me

caps only charge with voltage, they charge then discharge and vise versa the only way to charge big ones up is with a megger or simply putting it in circuit, obviously the small ones will blow up with a megger

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
hey guys i wana hook up a cap to work with my 2 12" kenwoods there 400watt nor 1000watt max how would i wire it up for best effect. eg. thump???

ive done a heap of stereos but none with a cap cheers guys

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
why do you want to use a cap first? are you sure you need it?

Put it as close to the amp as possible in the power chain.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
brohawk said:
i just want the best out of these subs that i can get. what size cap?

how should i wire the subs to a 4 channel amp for best results? the specs on the subs are www.kenwoodaudio.com/Australia/prodDetails.asp?Cat=Car%20Entertainment&SubCat=Woofers&Model=KFC-W3010

with the power wire just run the positive end of the cap to the batt n the negative to the amp ?

cheers guys
um... well thats the only way to wire a cap really. one wire into the cap and one not conected to the cap.
as for how to wire the woofers i would have thought it to be easy if you have some experience in stereos... one woofer to each bridged channel, if your amp can handle that. if not maybe get a 2 channel amp... or class d amp.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
brohawk said:
i just want the best out of these subs that i can get. what size cap?
cheers guys
Basically, a capacitor isn't going to do anything for your sub.

In car audio capacitors are used for two different applications. The first is a stiffening capacitor, they are very high values from about 0.5 Farad to 20 Farad. These are used to support the supply voltage to the car's electrical system. But there is alot of arguements about what benefits they provide. In my opinion, they just keep the supply voltage more level, which can be seen by less headlight dimming with loud music. Other think they can hear a difference, but they're kidding themselves :)
The second application is smaller capacitors like the ones you see in electrical equipment, which are used for audio filters. Capacitors when connected to an AC source (music) will only let higher frequencies pass through them, so you use them as basic passive high pass filters.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
um garfa i said 1 positive terminal of the cap to battery and negative to the amp?

ive done alot of stereos but never really used caps before and all others were 1 amp per sub.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The cap goes in parallel to your amp, not in series. If you learn some electronics you'll work out how to wire a cap and that you don't need one :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey guys, been years since I've installed caps (I convince people they just don't need them are there caps out there that have a self charging function built into them?

Daniel Gray

now a ultra-low cruiser!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V8 Calais, VZ GEN4 SS
12Voltking said:
Hey guys, been years since I've installed caps (I convince people they just don't need them are there caps out there that have a self charging function built into them?

So u know how to install a cap? I think I need one, when the bass hits my headlights dim, mite just be a **** battery but i figure it cant be good on the cars electrics. If I bought a cap like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Response...70QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what would i need to do to install it? would the 4ga positive wire go into it then into the amp? I havent even seen a cap, so i have no idea