Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What gearbox SSV?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If it's the 5 speed auto needs a 5l40e , expensive replacement. I think series 2 has the 6l50e 6 speed . Cheaper replacement and more reliable. Need to figure out how many gears your transmission is.
Its a 5 speed 5L40E because my 08 SV6 is (mines the same colour as well). Bitch of a thing to replace as they were only in the upper spec VZ and upper spec early VE models so rare as rocking horse shite to find.

I had transmission issues with mine and got quoted $5500 to rebuild the transmission I had. No swapsies as there aren’t enough of them around. I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to convert it to a 6 speed but it’s in no way easy as the coms protocol is different between the two so the ECU needs to be fooled into thinking the new 6 speed is ok to run with.

I ended up changing the solenoid valves and changing the fluid a couple of times and it came good. I’ll probably convert it to 6 speed whenever the transmission finally gives up the ghost.

H

harrop.senator

Its a 5 speed 5L40E because my 08 SV6 is (mines the same colour as well). Bitch of a thing to replace as they were only in the upper spec VZ and upper spec early VE models so rare as rocking horse shite to find.

I had transmission issues with mine and got quoted $5500 to rebuild the transmission I had. No swapsies as there aren’t enough of them around. I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to convert it to a 6 speed but it’s in no way easy as the coms protocol is different between the two so the ECU needs to be fooled into thinking the new 6 speed is ok to run with.

I ended up changing the solenoid valves and changing the fluid a couple of times and it came good. I’ll probably convert it to 6 speed whenever the transmission finally gives up the ghost.

Yep my WL ones tired. Last time I looked I found one in SA for $750 . All 2 in WA weren't as fair. $1400 supply no warranty from a wrecker or $2000 fitted 30 day warranty.

3.5 quote to rebuild by a guy who has a repairers license and warrants but worked from home. 4.5 to rebuild at a known big shop.

I dno if I'll do a box swap or buy a cheap shell and swap all the goodies in once it gives up the ghost. I know cars have gone up but it was a $2500 car with 50k less on the clock then now a year n a half ago.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep my WL ones tired. Last time I looked I found one in SA for $750 . All 2 in WA weren't as fair. $1400 supply no warranty from a wrecker or $2000 fitted 30 day warranty.

3.5 quote to rebuild by a guy who has a repairers license and warrants but worked from home. 4.5 to rebuild at a known big shop.

I dno if I'll do a box swap or buy a cheap shell and swap all the goodies in once it gives up the ghost. I know cars have gone up but it was a $2500 car with 50k less on the clock then now a year n a half ago.
It’s a tough spot to be in for sure. The costs get prohibitive on such an old car. The other option I’ve thought of with my SV6 is converting it to a manual.

The Aisin manual boxes for the SV6 aren’t that expensive and the auto to manual conversion path will be a lot more well trodden than the 5 speed auto to 6 speed auto path.

H

harrop.senator

It’s a tough spot to be in for sure. The costs get prohibitive on such an old car. The other option I’ve thought of with my SV6 is converting it to a manual.

The Aisin manual boxes for the SV6 aren’t that expensive and the auto to manual conversion path will be a lot more well trodden than the 5 speed auto to 6 speed auto path.

I dno if I can be bothered changing gears in it. I can buy working or rebuilt transmissions for my 70's Pontiac , 70's Datsun , 180sx , super 6 or my 355 cheaper than it.

They're just a rare box that's not cheap to manafacture and they didn't run them that long lol. If they were the price of a 4l or even 6l I'd have swapped the box in a day 20k ago and not complained. Even with as problematic as they are a $600 box even if it last 6 months is fine to me. That's $25 a week the fuel cost more than that hahaha.

Kevdusty1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks guys for the info. Now I'm thinking about just handball the car on 2 someone else or just part it out?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys for the info. Now I'm thinking about just handball the car on 2 someone else or just part it out?
Unfortunately that’s what is going to happen with most of the 5 speed autos due to the rarity. You can pick up a 6 speed box for a few hundred dollars second hand as they are everywhere.

Are you sure your existing gearbox is cactus? Repair shops being the shiteheads they are always talk you into the most expensive option of full replacement. I talked to a number of mechanics about my SV6 and everyone to a man just said replace the whole gearbox for $5000+

Unfortunately if there is a cheap way out of it your going to have to do it yourself as mechanics are there to take as much money from you as they can so they won’t entertain the part repair option at all.

Mine was shuddering and felt like it was momentarily losing drive for microseconds at a time when going up inclines. Replacing the solenoids and flushing the fluid out a couple of times seems to have fixed it in the interim. It does have 320,000kms on it so I wasn’t expecting miracles but it’s bought it some time.

Kevdusty1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have bought this car of someone who put it in for a service and the mechanic has said there is signs of metal in either the gear box or motor. The car has 120,000ks on it. Iv done plenty of VT-VX ect motor/box change overs so I was gana try to do 1 to this on my own. But now I'm having second thoughts about it!! Iv bought the car and pick it up at 4 2day. The bloke who I bought it of said he's having trouble with reverse gear sometimes now.

Kevdusty1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
If it's the 5 speed auto needs a 5l40e , expensive replacement. I think series 2 has the 6l50e 6 speed . Cheaper replacement and more reliable. Need to figure out how many gears your transmission is.
Found out it's the 5 speed, so now the fun begins I guess!!

Kevdusty1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV

Yeah its definitely the 5 speed so I guess It's gana become a manual, which means more fun DRIVING it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
................ the mechanic has said there is signs of metal in either the gear box or motor ................
Now there is a diagnosis to rely on. As opposed to having a plastic gearbox or engine ?
Next, he will be telling you to top up the blinker fluid, and refill the energy polariser.