Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What has happened to head units?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Most brands assume the remote control they provide would be used while driving, so volume knob location isn't that important.

Really?, Ive often wondered at who fumbles around to use the remote control when one is seated right next to the stereo?.
Doesnt explain why most of the aftermarket units are setup for lhd

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Several brands offer steering wheel remotes for people who can't keep track of a loose remote.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Several brands offer steering wheel remotes for people who can't keep track of a loose remote.

I love it how people tell me what is unimportant. To me it is important to be easily able to adjust the vol on the set in the console, no I dont find steering wheel controls easy to use(yes my vx has them) and Im just asking about/pointing out the lack of this in stereos for rhd(how they are setup for lhd with the vol on the left and usb ports on the right)

I dont need some dweeb telling me Im meant to use a remote control.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
The ipod doesnt come and go. It has come and set its place in the world and it is here to stay for a good period of time. The usb 2.0 standard has been around since 2000 - Im not saying its not good technology, but is hasnt changed and therefore you cannot say it 'keeps getting better' (although USB 3.0 is due this year). Ipods trump the USB for storage - 160Gb for Ipod vs maybe 8Gb for a USB stick. More capabilities? None that I can think of.

Both have their strengths, but you cant knock the Ipod just because you dont have one. Its pretty much a USB stick with extras. If anything its the ipod with more storage and more capabilities.

how about my 640gb usb?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
$20 - 2.5" USB drive enclosure (IDE or SATA, your choice)
$60 - $500 - 80gb - 2tb, your choice of 2.5" laptop hard drive.

I got a free 40gb 2.5" drive and paid $17 for an enclosure. I already had a USB car power adapter to provide the extra power it needs to run, and now I have 1900 songs and I'm not even using up 15gb.

I personally use the remote for some things, and the head unit controls for other things depending on what is easier. For example, I find browsing through folders to be easier with the remote, but... Actually, I use the remote for just about everything except for switching Random off and on... Because the remote IS easier for me.

But I always used to use the controls, and I dealt with the fact that they were set up for LHD. Big whoop. It's not that big a deal.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
He didn't say stick :p

As I said above, get an USB 2.5" hard drive enclosure and a 2.5" hard drive.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
But I always used to use the controls, and I dealt with the fact that they were set up for LHD. Big whoop. It's not that big a deal.

You are entitled to your opinion, but when someone says they find an arrangement difficult, you telling them it isnt a big deal is just stupid.

I dont know if you have tried to use a unit with the usb stick sticking out of the far right of the unit, but I found it extremely easy to knock the stick out when using any control on the left of it.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I dont know if you have tried to use a unit with the usb stick sticking out of the far right of the unit, but I found it extremely easy to knock the stick out when using any control on the left of it.
Buy a brand that has the USB socket on a fly lead. At least you know what NOT to buy :)

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Buy a brand that has the USB socket on a fly lead. At least you know what NOT to buy :)

Geez, some people will just never get it.........I frigging know about the units with the fly leads, I want to know about units that are setup for rhd. If you dont know, dont say anything.....you are almost as fustrating as those noobs in stores like jb, ie when one asks for a device to do whatever, they tell you you dont need it and should buy X, you arent one of those pesky salesman are you?