Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what is a good sound system for my VY ute?

jamieeVYs04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series II VY S ute
i have no clue about this stuff. Im after a slightly better than average set up, i have no budget because it isn't a project i plan on starting any time soon, probably in 3-4months. basically, just give me your opinions on set ups. Im pretty fussy and would prefer to stick to one brand all round for the speakers/amp/sub/head unit. im pretty keen on either a kenwood, alpine or pioneer setup all round.... if not you's suggest something else.

first piece of direction for you's, im keen on a 7inch head unit with sat nav.

THANKS!

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
would prefer to stick to one brand all round for the speakers/amp/sub/head unit. im pretty keen on either a kenwood, alpine or pioneer setup all round

Interesting, might I ask why?

jamieeVYs04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series II VY S ute
i pretty much dont want to have a jvc head unit, with pioneer speakers with a kicker sub and a alpine am. at most maybe 2 brands through the sound system... very fussy ahah what brands do people suggest? certain brand for a sub.... blah blah

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I have 6x9's in the parcel shelf, 2 12 inch subs and amp in the boot and 5 inch speakers in the dash of my vn with a CD player and that works great for me.. The kids hate it but in the vy its all stock for now till I swap it over or buy new stuff..

Do you want subs or just a simple but good system?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
i pretty much dont want to have a jvc head unit, with pioneer speakers with a kicker sub and a alpine am. at most maybe 2 brands through the sound system... very fussy ahah what brands do people suggest? certain brand for a sub.... blah blah

Why does it matter? Is it for the wank factor, the ability to say "Oh yeah, it's all Alpine, fully hectic etc.etc."?

Anyone who just suggests you a brand as opposed to a specific products is doing you no favours. Every brand has hit and miss products.

For the headunit it really is personal preference. Go out and try a lot of them. Pick the one that has the features, looks and user interface that you prefer the most, while confining to your budget.

What is your budget for the entire system? Big difference between a $500 and a $5000 system.

jamieeVYs04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series II VY S ute
cost isn't an issue, i just want to see what everyone suggests for your average sound system. i just want clear sounding music when being blasted and some bass BUT surely i could get a good setup for under $2000?

jamieeVYs04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series II VY S ute
I have 6x9's in the parcel shelf, 2 12 inch subs and amp in the boot and 5 inch speakers in the dash of my vn with a CD player and that works great for me.. The kids hate it but in the vy its all stock for now till I swap it over or buy new stuff..

Do you want subs or just a simple but good system?

yeh, i would like some suggestions on a sub

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
$2000 is a very modest budget and you could end up with a very nice system providing the installation is top notch. Will you be doing it or will you get a professional to install it?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
If your installing it your self then 1500 would be heaps.. Best bet is to go to a store and see what deals they can do with what you want and then see what other places can do and play them off each other for the best deal..