Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is this on my dash?

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
I just installed a new head unit with GPS in my VX waggon.

When installing the GPS antenna on the dash, I found a small plastic piece with wires mounted up against the windshield in the middle between the front demister vents.

What is this device? It looks like the controller for the auto headlights, but my car does not have auto headlights, and is a base spec Executive.

I also apparently have the connector for the power windows below the trim in front of the centre box!

Did all Executives come with the wiring and controllers for more up-spec features?

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
i think (usually wrong though)
that yeah they all had the same/simmiliar loom.. and they just added the calais/berlina fetures to the calais etc

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Yep I thought the same thing, the auto head light sensor is actually located in the same spot, and looks exactly the same, but the one in your car won't have the sensor, it will only be your keyless entry sensor.

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
Great.
Thanks for the replies.

By the way, anyone know how to remove the radio cradle without dismantling the whole dash?

I removed the two side panels near the floor, but to remove the cradle, looks like I may have to remove the entire dash! Surely there has to be an easier way?

( I need to get the cables through the back and then screw the new head unit to the sides. )

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
look closer there should be a screw or two at the back and unclip the antennea connector and the wiring connectors