Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what should i do now with my stereo?

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
In Newcatle You Might Get The Odd Copper Who Will Try And Defect You For Excesive Noise But We Hardly Get That

I Think The dB Level Is The Same As An Exhaust 98dB

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Illegal to have a sub in QLD??? WTF?

Anyone got a link to this law?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
In NSW the police will defect you for excessive noise, no matter how loud it is......its just what the deem to be excessive, theres no actual DB level as fair as i know.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
In Newcatle You Might Get The Odd Copper Who Will Try And Defect You For Excesive Noise But We Hardly Get That

I Think The dB Level Is The Same As An Exhaust 98dB
Don't know about steroes but exhaust is 90db mate, not 98.

LAPD-VN

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 5sp - LAPD
yeah scrap all the extra subs. I run 2 800watt Kicker comps powered off a 1000watt mono block with only using 4 gauge wire. At the last springnats i went in the DB run and pulled 165.3dB. If you want a richer sound make sure you use 0-2gauge wire. Thats what i was told to do. to get an increase of around 30-50% more power.

Get a set of nice 6.5 or 6'9 speakers for the parcel shelf and some 6.5 in the front doors.

You can run these from the head unit but for louder crisp sound you could try a 4x whatever stereo amp. Wjatever the lowest wattage of speakers you run you dont want to get an amp that will blow them tho. Also the shorter the amp power cable is the more power you will get.

If you wish to spend the work look at possibly putting the battery in the boot and running power from there. Yes the car will be drawing from the rear of the car but your sound will be better.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
165 wow thats um very high like Aussies top 3 off 2 subs
yeah like everyone is saying start fresh your system would sound like a mud pit
the only downfall with is it to loud rule is to old copper it is to young dude in car it isn't
so theres no way of saying any system is to loud
would love to see them try and give me a ticket for my system **** would hit the fan

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
165dB from 1000WRMS WTF! Soundstream used 6500WRMS to make thier record of 167.2dB, so I doubt that reading of yours. And you say your using only 4 gauge wiring.

And you don't get more power by using bigger wiring, its not the supercharger of audio. You should match the wiring to the power needs of your amps. I personally would have used bigger wiring in your case.

LOL 165dB using 4gauge wiring, your car would now be a flaming wreck.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
yeah scrap all the extra subs. I run 2 800watt Kicker comps powered off a 1000watt mono block with only using 4 gauge wire. At the last springnats i went in the DB run and pulled 165.3dB. If you want a richer sound make sure you use 0-2gauge wire. Thats what i was told to do. to get an increase of around 30-50% more power.

Get a set of nice 6.5 or 6'9 speakers for the parcel shelf and some 6.5 in the front doors.

You can run these from the head unit but for louder crisp sound you could try a 4x whatever stereo amp. Wjatever the lowest wattage of speakers you run you dont want to get an amp that will blow them tho. Also the shorter the amp power cable is the more power you will get.

If you wish to spend the work look at possibly putting the battery in the boot and running power from there. Yes the car will be drawing from the rear of the car but your sound will be better.

BA HA HA HA HA HA 165.3

the australian record is 164.8 so me thinks you might be fudging your numbers a little bit there

0awg is not going to give you a 50% power gain no matter what and it is no way going to "make the sound richer" whatever that means. thicker cable just means lower voltage drop and when you are only running 1000W (if that is RMS) 4 awg is plenty

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
so its legal to BLAST bass in nsw???

I know in QLD its illegal to even have a sub in your car.
Here in Vic they just brought in a cretain db volume for music in cars

I guess they don't sell Commodores with factory subs in QLD then...

Its not illegal to have subs anywhere in Australia. Excessive noise is illegal, but even factory stereo's can create excessive noise.

harvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack S2
bass is good mate but u can go overboard were there is no sound quality cos its all bass! i would scrap all the subs, go for some really good quality 6x9's in the parcel tray and some splits in the front running off a good amp then go something like 2 12" jbl or pioneer subs in the boot, thats gonna be plenty of bass!!