Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should I do to my VP SS?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Wagon wheel, you are most correct that if you had someone do it for you it would cost you more than a grand.....Also, if you cant tune it yourself (or dont want to) you could add to that another wod of cash, so it adds up quiet quickly if you have someone do it for you!

Add to that a few more hundred dollars in labour doing it Paradox's way and putting in an adjustable timing set later on to dial the cam in!

However, it looks as though Paradox is a 5 litre expert already.....:p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you get youself a strong tune and the VS series 2 CAI from Holden, remove the rubbers on the bonnet that stop the airflow into it and open the intake up a bit as I've done on mine with a heat gun. Just those two things and the 2.5? inch cat back you allready have will possibly get you a mid 14 second car on a VP SS, high 14's worst case. After that it gets expensive. Honestly if the cars got a good tune in it you wont gain much at all with diff gears, I made more on the 2.5 inch cat back than I did with gears. This is not true on most cars like the V6 for example but since the 304 makes huge amount of torque down low when it running correct timing it can over power 3.08 gears as it is, on the stock tune gears make a huuuuuge differnce though. Also once you have gears it becomes almost pointless to have a tune, stangely enough :)

We can compare Paradoxs pretty good 1/8th mile time (one of the best near stock 5 litres on this site) of 9.63 with the fastest near stock 5 litres in my area who are racing every meeting and know how to get a fair bit of speed out of these cars

Paradox, strong tune, 2.5 inch cat back, crap head light out "cai", 3.08 gears lsd, droped exhuast = 9.63

Red VN with group A kit from lcoal drags, strong tune, droped exhaust, crap head light out "cai", pacemaker headers, 4.11 welded diff = 9.45

Tims' stock VP low mileage 5 litre Berlina with unknown aftermarket tune = 9.7

Stock stock VN or VP's auto 5 litres make 10 flat or 9.9 or 9.8 on a good day depending on how fat they are (calais/berlina/executive)

Dave's Lime green machine, VR 5 litre, crane 268 cam, 2.5 inch cat back, 3.9 gears mini spool, 9.4's

Dutchys VN 5 litre, Mild cam 276ish?, 4.11 gears, heads cleaned up/mild porting, factory cai, custom tuned on dyno with kalmaker, pacemakers, 3 inch? exhaust, = 9.0s

Greenfoams VP 5 litre, strong tune, 2.5 inch cat back, modified stock headers, modified stock thottle body, factory cai + front bumper cai, no body deadner (minus ~30kgs), no aircon (minus 20+kgs), 3.45 gears lsd = 9.1s

As an example of what those times give you performance wise, I raced a XR6 Turbo that couldn't go sub 9.5ish the other night and most gen 3's run 9.3-9.4 when totaly stock a stock VN V6 will make 10.5s or a bit slower than that and most Falcons with injected 302s will be in the low 10s the average boosted/cooled untuned VL turbo still on the stock turbo will make low 9's say 9.2/9.3

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Wagon wheel, you are most correct that if you had someone do it for you it would cost you more than a grand.....Also, if you cant tune it yourself (or dont want to) you could add to that another wod of cash, so it adds up quiet quickly if you have someone do it for you!

Add to that a few more hundred dollars in labour doing it Paradox's way and putting in an adjustable timing set later on to dial the cam in!

However, it looks as though Paradox is a 5 litre expert already.....:p
And in his power plan its all done with a stock exhaust.........

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Not at all...
I mean seriously, if holden released the car with it, then it must be perfect for the car

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
And in his power plan its all done with a stock exhaust.........

yet still 0.3 faster than you over the 1/4 mile... without slicks

go figure

my point was... there is no restriction on a stock 5L , i ran the same ET with open headers...im no expert im just going off my own experiances