Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should i get to make my car look better

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
My other two cents about the look of the car, as pretty much a foreign observer, is I hate when people put extra huge rims with too thin little tyres on their cars. Like, extra diameter rims with hardly any rubber around them. Best way to ruin the look of your Holden, in my opinion. Like, how off does this car look I see on Google (sorry if you own it). And you can't drive anywhere there is a speed bump or pothole.

1651686447597.png

Like this looks good, I reckon. If you own this one, please give it to me.

1651687060522.png

Remember these days? When wheels had substance. No wonder that bloke is smiling.

1651687244047.png

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My other two cents about the look of the car, as pretty much a foreign observer, is I hate when people put extra huge rims with too thin little tyres on their cars. Like, extra diameter rims with hardly any rubber around them. Best way to ruin the look of your Holden, in my opinion. Like, how off does this car look I see on Google (sorry if you own it). And you can't drive anywhere there is a speed bump or pothole.

View attachment 237219

Like this looks good, I reckon. If you own this one, please give it to me.

View attachment 237220

Remember these days? When wheels had substance. No wonder that bloke is smiling.

View attachment 237221

90% of people modify for looks before performance or practicality

Apart from a set of gold 17" FR1,s and tint, my car looks stock and rides well over rough roads, speed humps and driveways

It sits around FE2 height on Pedders extreme adjustable, a little (5mm) raised at the front more than the rear to give a little traction to the rear

Tyres are 235/45 17 and 255/40 17 (soon to be 275/40 17) running nice sidewall for the streets

I'm still part of the 90% though, as for whar I use the car for, 95% street and 5% drags 15" wheels would have been better, and they would still fit under my brakes

But, the bogan in me required gold FR1's, and the smallest I could get was 17"

My cars typically look like any other fairly standard cars from a distance, both for compliance as well as to avoid attention, you need to open the bonnet or get close enough to stick your head under to see what has actually been done

TL;DR. I fear no speed humps or rough roads, ride height and sidewalls for the win

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My bus is a prick over speed humps, nearly always scrapes somewhere.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Same with my standard height SV6. It is usually just the mudflaps but you can feel they are roughed up on the bottom from the scrapes.

The front bumper is pretty low on these as well and often scrape the sidewalk when parking. I recently got a front camera installed and this has eliminated that issue now, thankfully

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
I think a sly dog side-butting kangaroo made the ding in the door I am holding open on mum's car there.

Most of them live on the driveway. There are heaps of sheep and cows too. Wombats. Goats.

Some animals have a death wish, and just dive into the car instead of fleeing it. Leap out of hiding in the bushes and stuff.

No car could survive without a bullbar in that environment. Same with spotlights, to see animals in advance.

No good mucking up your own beef or lamb. Mowing down the woolbearers. Or constantly dinging the car.

Smashing the radiator into the water pump and being stranded in the middle of nowhere, with miles to walk back to the house and nobody for company but Ivan Milat. That is why you would be wanting a radio as well.

That one seems to be surviving alright, and I reckon mum has pushed a few beasts out of the way in her time. Ringfeder's looks like it means business.

It is different kind of Holden look, for people who are as enthusiastic about the cars as the next. Some folk do it well.

Hell, you would be loving the look of your Holden even more when you know it is a survival machine, rigged to get you through not just outback life, but the Mad Max apocalypse if it comes.

Many years ago was driving ex wife's rice burner home from parents farm and I could see a pack of roos coming so I stopped in the middle of the road to let them all go by. Of course there is always one though.....
The "one" stopped directly in front of me so I leaned out the window and said "move dopey", don't think he liked it, be bounded to the side of the road, stopped, turned around, looked at me and charged right towards me, whilst I was still stopped on the road. Slammed into the drivers door hard enough that when I got home I could not open the door and had to exit via the passenger's door.
When I surveyed the damage the drivers car door and front panel were stoved in and needed replacing.
Is hilarious when I think about it now but wasn't at the time.

Dodgy_Davo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0
The "one" stopped directly in front of me so I leaned out the window and said "move dopey", don't think he liked it, be bounded to the side of the road, stopped, turned around, looked at me and charged right towards me, whilst I was still stopped on the road. Slammed into the drivers door hard enough that when I got home I could not open the door and had to exit via the passenger's door.
Yeah wow I've seen Roos /emu's do the dumbest things while night driving up north west WA but not seen them run into a stationary car ..mustve taken a special dislikin' to you after you locked eyes with him lol :D

Yep - Worse if you have a big exhaust too and there's a certain style of speed bump out there with sharp angles which feels like hitting a chunk of jagged concrete with stiff lowered springs in my ute - rattles the dash a bit looser each time

My other two cents about the look of the car, as pretty much a foreign observer, is I hate when people put extra huge rims with too thin little tyres on their cars. Like, extra diameter rims with hardly any rubber around them. Best way to ruin the look of your Holden, in my opinion.
meh to me there's a threshold here - anything bigger than 20's and it must be a harsh ride

Could only imagine how jarring it would be with a 4+ hour country drive on 22's ...yeah nah

19's are a good middle ground imo

Yes i do and the same debate was on back then too around low profile or not...just on smaller diameter rims

I dont miss those low profile 14 inch BF Goodrich Radial TA's suicide-in-the-wet tyres at all..

hey, I have a silver vz sv6 berlina and I am putting FE2 suspension on it and some vy ss rims but I im a bit unsure on what modifications I can add to it to make it better? I dont want to add a aftermarket exhaust coz then it sound like a pile of ****. Anyone have any ideas to make it look decent.

To answer the OP , despite the downsides to lowering, it does look good...just do it properly

Other things tint, decent rims / rubber and depending on what you want it to look like , blackout chrome and badges etc
Had a VF SS and it looked much nicer when i blacked out the ridiculous amount of plastic chrome badges and trim on it

Some people dont like wings on sedans either ..

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep 3" system does hang down pretty well. Although I'm not sure exactly what scrapes. I avoid certain paths and driveways now though and the list is growing.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Chevy Badge, fluffy dice(pink) southern cross sticker, remove the fuel lid

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I beg to differ. I hit a roo in the old ute, when it came out of nowhere and it did no damage to the bar. It saved the ute from damage except a little crack in the plastic bar cover. Fast forward two years and the alloy loop bar saved my ute from having the entire front end smashed in when I lost control and smacked into a bank. The BB was ripped off but I was able to pick it up and drive home. Had it not had the bar I would have been in plenty of trouble, with no phone range for 30km in either direction and a car that would have required a flatbed.
Your bull bar was obviously made out of real alloy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your bull bar was obviously made out of real alloy.
Maybe, it was just alloy tubing. One mount ripped off near the weld, the other held on but ripped the weld nut from the chassis. Good thing as I might not have been able to get it off it it was still half attached.