Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Thermo fans are best for 304 v8?

torana50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S2 V8 T5
Thinking of replacing the engine fan with Thermo. What fans are best fit?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I used AU Falcon fans on my 383 VS Calais. You need to (carefully) trim the AU shroud to get a good airtight fit. Others have used VT fans and even Mondeo fans. Plenty of posts on the subject in the past. Do a search on "thermo fan 304"..

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais, VS Berlina & LX Torana
I really like the AU fans too, this is what I run on the Torana. From memory I installed them upside down for a neater look. Incredible airflow. I think AU, VT and the Mondeo fans - as listed above are all very similar as far as size goes... any of them should do the job.

Need to look at this too for my VR 304 project car too (still running the original big-ass clutch fan). Going to try that first though to see how it performs.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I switched from AU fans to a single BF/FG thermo fan.

Looks better, moves more CFM, draws less amps and it's quiet so you don't hear it spinning up from 3 blocks away like the AU's

Theres really no downside.

The BF fan is the new go to conversion fan now they are getting wrecked and are plentiful everywhere. The only reason people used AU fans so heavily was because you could find them just about anywhere. Now AU's are starting to dry up and more BF/FG's are getting wrecked.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I've got twin thermo fans from DSM Motorsport on my VH. They just need a bit of trimming at either side for the inlet and filler side. Not cheap but do a good job.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I really like simple yet factory looking vs series 3 2 core radiator ($100) with vs v6 thermofan($40-$50)...fitted it up to a few cars works a treat with 85a alternator although cars used it with were v8 conversions so wiring was already there just had to get memcal tune.

Have done au fans...work awsome so too would fg/bf single which look neater just need to upgrade wiring & alternator to get most out of it.

Must admit only tried vs s3 radiator & vs v6 thermofan on vp v8 ute as wanted engine bay to look nicer & curious to see if would notice difference to clutch fan...does rev quicker.

torana50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S2 V8 T5
I really like simple yet factory looking vs series 3 2 core radiator ($100) with vs v6 thermofan($40-$50)...fitted it up to a few cars works a treat with 85a alternator although cars used it with were v8 conversions so wiring was already there just had to get memcal tune.

Have done au fans...work awsome so too would fg/bf single which look neater just need to upgrade wiring & alternator to get most out of it.

Must admit only tried vs s3 radiator & vs v6 thermofan on vp v8 ute as wanted engine bay to look nicer & curious to see if would notice difference to clutch fan...does rev quicker.
Is there much to modify on the vs v6 fan to fit to v8 radiator? Are radiators similar size?

torana50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S2 V8 T5
I used AU Falcon fans on my 383 VS Calais. You need to (carefully) trim the AU shroud to get a good airtight fit. Others have used VT fans and even Mondeo fans. Plenty of posts on the subject in the past. Do a search on "thermo fan 304"..
Is there much modification to fit AU fan to VS 304?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Bf/fg fan or original clutch fan is your only option especially if you want to retain a/c and have it work properly on very hot days.

Otherwise you can try other options but performance/ease of fitment will be compromised. Consider physical fitment, aesthetics and electrical load.

I’ve tried a number of configurations in a daily driven vehicle with ambient temps of up to 47 degrees under a variety of conditions (low speed, high load etc including towing).

If you’re really pushing it (high load, high heat for extended periods), the clutch fan is essential in a commodore vb-vs commodore. The radiators are just too small for the cast iron 304 to sacrifice airflow.

torana50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S2 V8 T5
Bf/fg fan or original clutch fan is your only option especially if you want to retain a/c and have it work properly on very hot days.

Otherwise you can try other options but performance/ease of fitment will be compromised. Consider physical fitment, aesthetics and electrical load.

I’ve tried a number of configurations in a daily driven vehicle with ambient temps of up to 47 degrees under a variety of conditions (low speed, high load etc including towing).

If you’re really pushing it (high load, high heat for extended periods), the clutch fan is essential in a commodore vb-vs commodore. The radiators are just too small for the cast iron 304 to sacrifice airflow.
Thank you, so leave it original.