Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Thermo fans are best for 304 v8?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is certainly the easiest option.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
the old metal clutch fans are sh*t house in slow moving heavy traffic, they just can"t circulate enough air at low revs on a stinger hot day, any thermo is an improvement

torana50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S2 V8 T5
the old metal clutch fans are sh*t house in slow moving heavy traffic, they just can"t circulate enough air at low revs on a stinger hot day, any thermo is an improvement
I’m not having heating problems, just thinking Thermo would be quieter, I’ll leave it as is for now. Thanks for all the info. Good insights.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They kick arse when they’re working properly. No problems at all - that’s why they came out with a clutch fan from factory when the v6 came with thermo fans…

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
They kick arse when they’re working properly. No problems at all - that’s why they came out with a clutch fan from factory when the v6 came with thermo fans…
Old dinosaur metal fans rob horse power
holden"s cheaped out fitting larger alternators to run proper big thermos so no electrical drain.
Best upgrade for 304 is LS larger alternator and large thermos

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Old dinosaur metal fans rob horse power
holden"s cheaped out fitting larger alternators to run proper big thermos so no electrical drain.
Best upgrade for 304 is LS larger alternator and large thermos
Incorrect. They don’t rob power when they’re not required. That’s why they use a viscous coupling. They’re also never ‘locked’. A typical clutch fan gives approx 80% drive. You’d never want one fully locked - you’ll know about power drain if you do find yourself in that scenario.

It doesn’t matter what alternator you use, the current draw of thermo fans is related to voltage and fan wattage - so load on the electrical system does still add load to the engine in much the same way as a clutch fan.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
what ever makes you happy splitting hairs
Dinosaurs died in the past, thermos is the future ;)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
what ever makes you happy splitting hairs
Dinosaurs died in the past, thermos is the future ;)
Why are clutch fans still used in brand new 4x4’s and trucks if they’ve been left in the past?

Not about what makes me happy - it’s just what works for the application. If not working the vehicle hard for extended periods or driving in extreme weather conditions. Or of course, sitting idling for hours when stuck in traffic. The factory alternator cannot supply the required current at idle rpm so will draw the battery down. For a cruiser you won’t likely encounter these scenarios. For a daily driver, there’s reasonable possibility.

I figure it’s important to have all the relevant info available when making a decision that will consume both time and money.

For your reference. https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...eo-bf-fg-plus-120a-alternator-upgrade.263089/

Personally, I’d also consider the fact that a decent unmolested vs v8 is worth decent money when making my decision. Factory fan setups are now desirable and are worth considerable money ($500-600 for the shroud alone).

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Honestly reckon factory clutch fan & shroud works the best on the hottest of days stuck in traffic....just as good if not better than twin au or bf setups especially when consider all extra work needed to make them work safely.

That being said hate the way factory fan & shroud clutter the engine bay....

Usual excuse for my cars is nicer looking engine bay much more to work on.

I've got 3-4 clutch fans & a shroud that needs plastic welding....sure they're desired but people wont pay jackshite for them in Sydney...had hell of a time selling off the last of my vr/s hsv airbox/otr