Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy to replace the ZB?

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
have a look at the hyundai sonata. i know, but they have a brillant engine and some real style to them. if i hadnt wanted an suv that was my next choice.
cheers

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Your choice of course.
If it was me CAMRY all the way.
Either petrol or hybrid.
Excellent cars in either guise.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
I was thinking maybe a Holden....something like this...who needs a new car when you can cruise in style.....some cars never grow old.....some cars are time bandits....lol

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018
Your choice of course.
If it was me CAMRY all the way.
Either petrol or hybrid.
Excellent cars in either guise.
Watching this thread with interest. As the cost of fuel is getting out of hand and there doesn’t appear to be any relief coming, I travel approx 120kms per day.

I’m surprised by the recommendation of a Camry. What’s so excellent about them? Reliability or value? I had one for two weeks as a hire car after hitting a fox in the ZB. I found the Camry the most boring car to drive.. Couldn’t wait to get the ZB back. If this is the pick, guess I’ll be keeping the ZB for sometime.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I don't have a ZB, but this is a hard one ....................... what new car to buy in 2022 ............ if you can get one.
Everything is heading towards PHEV SUVs, which all look the same, full of electronic nannies, and as exciting as a Macca's burger.

A Kia Stinger is very much in the same mould as a ZB, if you ignore the obvious drivetrain differences

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
conventional ??
.... if it was me, value for $ and features is the Toyota Camry (normal or hybrid)

ps.. the Skoda SUPERB is NOT superb according to my neighbour who has had one for nearly a year
Its a tin can and he is fighting SKODA under lemon laws (yeah, it is THAT bad)
I just can't bring myself to consider Toyota after 16 years with GM/Holden - it's just a bridge too far :)

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am trying to make the zb last long enough to switch to an ev.
I do 100+km per day for work and at 2 bucks a liter its starting to get beyond a joke.

If i had to do a petrol i would look at scoobydoos or maybe a mazda, toyota but i am not looking for performance or anything i want a daily transporter.

I will miss the gm layout i am used to.
Tell me about it! After 16 years working for GM, plus driving GM product since I finished, I'm dreading learning another OEM. I am also considering just hanging on the the ZB a bit longer...

Turbo model is on the way.
Yep - waiting til 2023 for a turbo Outback is definitely an option.

If you're looking under the VW umbrella, how about a Passat Wagon or VW Golf R Wagon?

A WRX Wagon will have some up and go but definitely do your research on what you like or just hold on to your ZB for a little longer...
From memory, all the VW were about 10k dearer than the equivalent Skoda.

I would cross off the German Corolla and the swedish Camry and the American wind up toys. What does that leave?
EVs cost you in other ways especially if you are plugging it in at home overnight to charge.
An EV with offpeak or solar charging doesn't concern me.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Kia Stinger is very much in the same mould as a ZB, if you ignore the obvious drivetrain differences
I looked at a Stinger, but I am really struggling with buying a non-hybrid or non-EV (even though I did have petrol cars on the list)

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
conventional ??
.... if it was me, value for $ and features is the Toyota Camry (normal or hybrid)

ps.. the Skoda SUPERB is NOT superb according to my neighbour who has had one for nearly a year
Its a tin can and he is fighting SKODA under lemon laws (yeah, it is THAT bad)

I evaluated a Skoda Superb 206 Sportline when I was hunting for a new car. It made the shortlist but fell well short of the ZB VXR in terms of refinement and spec for price (I could get almost what came as standard for VXR/Calais V but only if you paid another $20K). If you really want to go VAG then look at the Cupra Leon Sportwagon, Arteon R-Line Shooting Brake or Golf R wagon, I'm not going anywhere near Skoda ever again.