Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy to replace the ZB?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
KIa have released a final tribute edition of the Kia Stinger (1,000 made worldwide) and N.Z. only get an allocation of 4, priced at $94,990.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/kia/stinger/listing/4111323732
Pricing looks a bit ambitious to me although I do have a soft spot for tan leather interiors so you never know after a bit of a haggle it might be me, but it got me thinking. What about a super low mileage late model Kia Stinger facelift version, 2022, done really low km's at a more sensible price? A few on trade me here and lots on Car Sales Australia.
I've driven one before and I liked the extra performance over a ZB V6, (especially the extra low down torque), but I think the ZB is a better handling bit of kit by quite a long way. That said the Stinger is a solid well handling bit of gear. With no more ZB does that bring the Kia into the frame now ? Is the Stinger a good replacement option to consider, curious what do you guys think ?

BTW. Mrs car got caught in the Auckland floods and after a long search she chose a new Kia Sportage. Had it for a few weeks now and the odd time I can get my hands on it to try it out, I've been quite impressed. Happy to expand on that vehicle if anyone wants me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
The concept of the Stinger is a grand tourer, all well and good. So why on Earth did Kia match that awesome V6TT engine with a slushbox out of a limo? Poor response/kickdown, a lack of any real manual mode as the box reverts back to auto very quickly, the sport mode doesn't hold gears properly under heavy braking, it really does feel like an old 20th century automatic. I know people have taken issue with the ZB 9 spd but it is light years ahead of the Kia in terms of technology and shift programming.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I agree the gearbox is an old design and certainly a long way behind a world renowned ZF 8 Speed gearbox that a vast array of the Euro's use and the 9 speed in our ZB's. On the other hand it makes 510 nm of torque from a very low 1300 r.p.m. so that covers a fair multitude of evils when it comes to a less than optimal gearbox and has proper Brembo brakes and a fair bit more grunt than our naturally aspirated V6 engines as well.
N.Z autocar time tested it with their VBox at 0-100 in 4.7 seconds and 80-120 k.p.h. in 2.70 seconds which are very respectable numbers.
That 0-100 number is quicker than any FPV they have tested, I've owned an FPV F6 and a supercharged FPV GT-P and they were genuine fast cars (which make a lot more power), so the box can't be all that bad to get the Stinger up to 100 in under 5 seconds in good conditions.
I think you make a valid point about the old design of the gearbox, certainly the newer designed 8 speed in my wife's new diesel Kia Sportage is a much better bit of kit and feels like a proper 2020's design but the Stinger has other solid attributes, and the sad reality is they're not making ZB's anymore mate.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I decided to take the bull by the horns and test drive the facelifted 2022 Kia Stinger. To be honest about it, this was just a short test drive as having had a decent long one before I just wanted to check why I had chosen the ZB Calais V over the 2018 Stinger in the first place and revisit whether it was worth updating my car now its just about 4 1/2 years old.

Lets get the elephant in the room out of the way. Yes its fast, much faster than my car. N.Z. autocar got 0-100 in 4.7 seconds and 80-120 k.p.h. in 2.7 seconds. These are serious numbers and it gets on the boost very early, with max torque arriving at only 1300 r.p.m which is pretty absurd really.
Yes its quick but without having a really scintillating top end like I've had with some vehicles before, noteable the supercharged FPV GT-P which i dynoed at just on 320 rwkw's, so somewhere about 400 kw's at the crank. So yes, impressed, but not blown away with the performance.

Ergonomics are all wrong, as far as I am cocnerned. As a XXXL guy I just feel the placement of the centre console nips into my overused belly and overall the car feels like it was designed for a much smaller person than me. I just found the whole drivers area quite constrictive and frankly as soon as I got back into my car, there was a huge sigh of relief.

Steering and handling, lacked the same clear alacrity I've come to enjoy in the ZB, the Stinger felt heavier on its tyres, for want of a better description, possibly because it is a bit heavier as a car, about another 100 kg's if I remember correctly. Gearbox seemed okay but certainly doesn't shine as being super smooth like the new 8 speed in my Mrs new Kia Sportage.
I drove a few different vehicles last Friday. Mrs new Sportage to drop it off for service, a Kia Rio they loaned me as a loan car, (wouldn't give you 2 cents for one of those). mine to go and test drive the Stinger, the Stinger, mine again to get home, the Kia Rio to go and retrieve the Mrs Sportage and then her Sportage to get home. Overall my impression is I can see why the new model Kia Sportage has won many awards, its a thoroughly modern, well handling bit of kit, a very spacious and versatile all rounder and the diesel version we have is a grunty and very economical bit of kit. Their new 8 speed auto is absolutely "silken" in its operation, like a hot knife through warm butter.

The Stinger feels like the dated bit of gear it is. A nice car in its own right but frankly I can see why I chose my car over it in the first place.
Back to the drawing board but I came away with a brand new perspective and appreciation for what I have already, so there's no rush to do anything. For what it's worth I really rate the new Kia Sportage for anyone looking for a biggish, mid-sized SUV. Try a diesel engine one out, you won't be disappointed. Happy to stick with my ZB for now, maybe for quite a while until something obvious raises its head as the likely replacement.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
:D ......... more information in your Stinger road test / review than is generally available from a 'professional' motor noter.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Thanks mate, you're far too kind. Was only the second time I have driven the Mrs Sportage, she normally never lets me near it lol
A look at the Kia Sportage for anyone interested.
No watching just because Gabby is cute

Last edited:

VXR_rocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Personally I'm thinking a Kia Stinger, I've had my VXR for nearly 5 years now and have absolutely loved it (easily the quickest and most agile factory V6 I've owned by far) so now I'm looking for something quicker again as it will probably be the last petrol car I own with the way things seem to be going..

Not ready for an EV yet, not with the rate batteries are currently dying..

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I've started casually looking too because I want to replace my ZB next year. In terms of ICE touring sedans there is the Stinger then you have to go high end Euro. I didn't like the Stinger GT when I drove one in 2019, and I doubt Kia would have bothered to invest money fixing that shitbox auto it has.

If I forget about buying a sedan, I've been quite taken with the look of the Cupra Leon Sportstourer but they need to fix that god awful haptic infotainment system VAG has infected all its current cars with. I mean, pushing out a > $50k car with unbacklit heating/cooling buttons is an unforgivable sin. Some of us do drive at night you know!