Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy to replace the ZB?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
DSG or CVT = automatic disqualification from my list. Big trouble comes as sure as night follows day, only a matter of time...

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I was looking at these as I don’t mind them either but the DSG is a sticking point. Apparently they are quite good now with all the time they have had to fine tune them but I don’t know!

The first gen ones were dry clutched and liked to eat themselves from the inside out. They were also effectively a single unit replacement, so were not cheap to maintain or repair. I know someone who spent $14k fixing their VW after it's DSG lunched itself. Despite wet clutch DSGs seeming to be doing better reliability-wise there is a reason Audi has gone back to torque converter automatics for their high torque requirement transmissions in the S and RS models.

rockets84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS-V Sportswagon
Why do they call big 4 door SUVs with a sloping rear window a 'Coupe' ? o_O
The direct french translation of coupe is "to cut", so some people consider the sloping roof line as the defining factor but coupes for many decades were 2 doors. typically with a sloping roof line. I wouldn't call a stupid X6 as a coupe. Seen the BMW Z4 shooting brake concept? That's a proper shooting brake.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
DSG or CVT = automatic disqualification from my list. Big trouble comes as sure as night follows day, only a matter of time...
It has been a year since I went new car shopping for my daughter.
I knew nothing about what brands had what boxes. One by one they were crossed off the list due to those above. Just didn't trust them after reading all the reports about failures, cost and duck-shoving of warranty by some brands.

Strangely, years ago, I had an animated conversation with a Ford salesman who didn't know that the then new Focus had a DCT. Told him they were rubbish, and that was well before the Focus gained its unreliable reputation ( Powershift AKA Powershit) and went back to a torque converter slushbox.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I was looking at these as I don’t mind them either but the DSG is a sticking point. Apparently they are quite good now with all the time they have had to fine tune them but I don’t know!
If I had $70K to drop on a wagon, yep, but the transmission and VW badges' just scream NO !
Which is worse .......... buying GMH product which is now a neglected orphan, or buying a VW which is a neglected child by its parent company.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
At least the GMH product doesn't have the reputation of the VAG product. You can get the parts for the GMH product even if you need to go off shore as the engines and gearboxes are used widely on other GM marques.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
That's handy.

Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Sorry not sorry for the thread necro but this is as good a place as any to post this:

For me, the time has come to start thinking about replacing my car. My budget has gone up by a shitload because there is nothing and I repeat, nothing in the same price range that provides similar bang for buck any more. This SUV fad has all but destroyed the performance sedan market so there's precious few options left if you want to stay with ICE cars.

Yes I considered going EV but there are several factors that tell me it's not a good idea to replace an ICE touring car with an EV right now. One, the next NZ government is likely to not only remove the clean car discount but hasten the introduction of road user charges for EVs further reducing their running cost advantage over ICE cars. The still really piss poor charging infrastructure in NZ outside the main centres, the high initial purchase price, questionable depreciation and fact that there still isn't a real drivers EV available in our market all add up to a hard pass. No the Tesla doesn't count because it isn't a drivers car, it's a one trick go fast pony with poor ergonomics, questionable build quality and a CEO whose recent behaviour quite frankly has put me off ever lining his pockets with my cash.

I briefly considered the new WRX but it's not even as fast as my Commodore, drinks a lot more gas, chews through tyres and there are question marks about the new FA24 engine's long term reliability. Then there is a jump in price to VAG cars like Golf R, Skoda Superb Sportline and Cupra Leon VZ Sportstourer (we get it before the Australian market does) which are effectively the same MQB platform underneath. The Golf and the Skoda were ho hum to drive, I'll see if the Cupra is any better but I am not expecting great things. And finally, premium Euro brands for EV level pricing. I test drove an Audi S5, it was nice enough but despite being almost three times the price of my VXR it wasn't even remotely close to being twice the car.

So I am having to look at even higher end cars but it's a good thing I have the money to buy one. What sad times us driving enthusiasts live in.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sorry not sorry for the thread necro but this is as good a place as any to post this:

For me, the time has come to start thinking about replacing my car. My budget has gone up by a shitload because there is nothing and I repeat, nothing in the same price range that provides similar bang for buck any more. This SUV fad has all but destroyed the performance sedan market so there's precious few options left if you want to stay with ICE cars.

Yes I considered going EV but there are several factors that tell me it's not a good idea to replace an ICE touring car with an EV right now. One, the next NZ government is likely to not only remove the clean car discount but hasten the introduction of road user charges for EVs further reducing their running cost advantage over ICE cars. The still really piss poor charging infrastructure in NZ outside the main centres, the high initial purchase price, questionable depreciation and fact that there still isn't a real drivers EV available in our market all add up to a hard pass. No the Tesla doesn't count because it isn't a drivers car, it's a one trick go fast pony with poor ergonomics, questionable build quality and a CEO whose recent behaviour quite frankly has put me off ever lining his pockets with my cash.

I briefly considered the new WRX but it's not even as fast as my Commodore, drinks a lot more gas, chews through tyres and there are question marks about the new FA24 engine's long term reliability. Then there is a jump in price to VAG cars like Golf R, Skoda Superb Sportline and Cupra Leon VZ Sportstourer (we get it before the Australian market does) which are effectively the same MQB platform underneath. The Golf and the Skoda were ho hum to drive, I'll see if the Cupra is any better but I am not expecting great things. And finally, premium Euro brands for EV level pricing. I test drove an Audi S5, it was nice enough but despite being almost three times the price of my VXR it wasn't even remotely close to being twice the car.

So I am having to look at even higher end cars but it's a good thing I have the money to buy one. What sad times us driving enthusiasts live in.
Find a low km VE somewhere and be happy ;)

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Find a low km VE somewhere and be happy ;)
I'm guessing that was said with tongue firmly placed in cheek.

Other than for it's prodigous boot space the VE/F is well in the dust of a ZB. We have one of each and I drive both regularly.