Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What To Do About Cai For V8 Efi

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I tried one of those Mace CAI boxed pod systems on my supercharged 6 but found it too noisey, but before removing completely tried a few tests.
With my stereo on (so I couldn't here the sucking and SC whine) I took the car up my favourite power test hill, then repeated the test with my normal setup, std VS SC V6 bottom with SC OTR snorkel, side inlet VR inlet pipe going down to under car and forward inlet towards back of head light, K&N panel filter and VN GrpA lid.
With stereo drowning out any outside noise the car didn't feel any faster with either system and the speed at the top was the same ( about 75kph in 2nd).
By the way my old VL turbo modded with stage 2 intercooler only managed about 71-73kph on the same hill.
Re did the test twice changing system over 4 times.
Have now decided to stay with the normal system as its quieter and doesn't attract attention when you put your foot down or open bonnet.
My 2c worth.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yes Jason that is correct. My car hit a brick wall at 190rwkw with the super 6 CAI. Took the CAI off, and just left the airbox open and it instantly gained nearly 10rwkw! If i was RVN 355, i would be using the VS V8 high flow air box lid, mod the original lower airbox to run a 3" pipe down through the guard, then either another 3" pipe to the back of the headlight or cut the VS CAI open like you have to get some more air in. I managed to get 2 3" pipes in the airbox on the Calais with no OTR CAI and it works a treat....

Mine not cut though it's just "remoulded" to be bigger, I've also got a 80mm pipe under the airbox to the front bar