Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do after battery is removed

S

scooner car

When you remove/replace a battery how do you reprogram the ECU?
On a mitzi you let them idle for 5 minutes,is there any tricks for a VRCommy
Thanks Scott

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You don't need to do anything at all - zilch - nil. Just drive it as normal...no rocket science involved.

K

Konker

vr and most other commy if it is auto do the following.
start car and place in drive with a/c ON - foot on brake obviously
idle for 30 seconds then turn ac off another 30 seconds
place car in neutral turn ac on 30 sc. then a/c off and 30 sec.

this allows the computer to gather vlues it needs to run best again and will save hassles but is not absolutly ness. however for 3 minutes work and 50 cents gas are you really gonna risk it?

S

scooner car

Its an auto but no air con so what do i do????????

R

rattattack1313

I remove my battery occasionally, and :king: Garth says I don't need to reset anything on my Vee Pee....or me sons Vee Enn......

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
Incorrect.

You need to setup the idle, and in theory, the computer will adjust to your driving style.

IE: for the first 15mins you drive it it will record what you do and adjust accodingly.

So DON'T put your foot on the brake when you put it in gear but do everything in stages IE: let it idle for 2 mins THEN put it in gear THEN take it out of gear and put the a/c on then turn the a/c off and put your lights on for 2 mins then turn off and do your radio and so-on

Everything needs to be done BEFORE you drive off, afte everything has been done, do it all at once without putting your foot on the brake. for 2 mins then repeat with your foot on the brake.

THEN you can drive it they way you want it to respond. (IE: hard and it won't worry about fuel econo and vise versa)
This is the case with ALL cars from VN days - the latest.
Grath don't know shite. not even about their own cars.

K

Konker

scooner car said:
Its an auto but no air con so what do i do????????

ok drive then neutral forget a/c. then drive below 50 for 5 minutes then above 50 for 5 minutes.
will restore econ settings etc so it knows how YOU drive it. kinda like maping in. also guys why when you buy a car off grandad whos never trashed it dissconnect batt for 2 minutes then do this. lot more power.

best of luck anyway bro,

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thats funny - The official VS owners handbook and the workshop manual (Gregorys) say you just replace the battery taking normal precautions. I've had mine out many times in my ex-cop VS11 without a problem - never a dropoff in performance or anything. Only extra thing to do is put the pin code in the radio. Also I've replaced many batteries in other cars with ECUs and never had a problem.